Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Lee 35 posts 84 karma points
    Dec 22, 2019 @ 20:58
    Lee

Convert doc type group to composition

Greetings. I have a doc type with a group, which I now realize needs to be a composition; however, I have nearly two hundred nodes that used the group already. Can I convert it somehow? Or do I have to use the API to copy the data from the current doc type to the new composition fields?

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14344 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Dec 23, 2019 @ 20:04
    Marc Goodson

Hi Lee

I wrote this blog post a while back for V7, that might be helpful.

http://tooorangey.co.uk/posts/moving-just-keep-moving/

Essentially Umbraco stores data for all the properties of a content item against the corresponding PropertyType, and the PropertyType is related to a PropertyTypeGroup and both the PropertyTypeGroup and the PropertyType is related to the ContentType that defines the Property.

Therefore it is possible to Create a New 'Composition' add a new 'Property Type Group' to it, and add this to your existing Document Type - then via SQL move each PropertyType for the properties you want to move from their existing Document Type and onto the new composition - because the new composition is added to the Document Type - and because you use SQL to move, then when you perform an application pool recycle, the data is kept intact.

I don't know another way of achieving the same and the database tables are slightly different in V8 but I think the principle is still the same.

It' just a bit scary!

regards

Marc

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft