Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David Armitage 505 posts 2073 karma points
    Dec 27, 2019 @ 07:45
    David Armitage

Umbraco8 ContentApp - Where to store user settings

Hi Peeps,

A question regarding creating contentApps for Umbraco8.

An App I am creating requires storing third party api credentials which are user specific.

Where would the best place to store these be?

Would these just go in the web.config and then I need to add some deployment notes along with the app when it comes to publishing. That or a config file within my App_Plugin folder?

Are is there a better place to store these to make then easily configurable in the Umbraco backend?

Thanks in advanced.

David

• Graham Davis 110 posts 376 karma points
    Dec 29, 2019 @ 05:34
    Graham Davis

Hi David,

Is this a single app that is used by multiple users via a central website/login? A little more info would help.

If there are only a few credentials that they all share, the webconfig in the app_plugin would probably be you best bet. If the number of credentials increases with the number of users, look at using a database table.

• David Armitage 505 posts 2073 karma points
    Dec 31, 2019 @ 10:38
    David Armitage

Hi Graham,

This is for an App I plan to publish into the Umbraco packages library.

There is only a few settings. Actually probably one. An API key which will be set by the user.

I had already added them into web config but I was just wondering if there is any other recommend place we should be adding these. Such as possible within the package.manifest or somewhere like that.

After digging around I found some references to Package Actions and it seems that you can create a package action to add these types of settings automatically to the web.config when someone installs my package.

Thanks @paulseal. https://24days.in/umbraco-cms/2017/creating-and-publishing-a-package/

This sort of answered my question as I can see other people are saving these types of settings in to the web.config too. That can I learn a good way how to have these auto populated with some default config.

How this helps someone with a similar question.

Kind Regards

David

• Graham Davis 110 posts 376 karma points
    Dec 31, 2019 @ 12:57
    Graham Davis

The appsettings section of the web.config in the root folder would be the appropriate place.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft