Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dave Hanvey 15 posts 96 karma points
    Dec 27, 2019 @ 07:47
    Dave Hanvey

Recycle bin times out when deleting

In Umbraco 8.4.0, I am working with large data sets. When I try and empty the recycle bin (probably 30,000 records) it never seems to complete.

Is there raw SQL for doing such operations?

The reason I want to empty the recycle bin is that is seems to be causing issues for me sometimes when updating my Document Type definitions - I presume because it is trying to update all records of that type in the recycle bin?

Thanks for any help anyone can be.

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Dec 27, 2019 @ 14:48
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Dave

Try to increase operations timeout for sql queries.

Thanks, Alex

• Dave Hanvey 15 posts 96 karma points
    Dec 31, 2019 @ 08:02
    Dave Hanvey

Thanks Alex.

I had tried that. Maybe I should have gone for a longer time. In the end I just switched to a clean database and started again.

• Jesse Andrews 191 posts 716 karma points c-trib
    Jul 28, 2021 @ 20:28
    Jesse Andrews

While the empty recycle bin command still times out nowadays, there is a workaround. If you navigate to click the recycle bin node in the navigation, it will take you to a list view that can be used to delete the nodes in batches. This can still run into timeout errors, but will make it clear what node is the problem. Generally I've found that timeout errors happen when a node has too many versions, as umbraco has to delete all of those too when deleting a node. The plugin UnVersion can be used to clear out the unwanted versions once configured. For reference, here is how I configured the unVersion.config file.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <unVersionConfig>
        <add maxCount="5" />
    </unVersionConfig>

With this configuration, unversion will delete all revisions except for the 5 most recent when a node is published.

Do note that this will not change the history in the info tab, as that information is pulled from entries in the umbracoLog table, which are not deleted when a version is deleted. Clicking the rollback button and opening the versions there will show that it deleted the old versions successfully.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft