Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Danils 2 posts 73 karma points
    Jan 07, 2020 @ 08:10
    Danils

Designing for Umbraco CMS, am I capable?

Hello everyone,, A client is commissioning a website redesign along with their new brand, but their current site is held on a larger network (they're a private off-shoot of a much larger company) which uses Umbraco. We have developed the new brand and literature, and they have asked us to redesign and build their new site. I have no experience with Umbraco, or even ASP in general, to the point where I haven't even got a concept of how the language works or what it does! Do you think it's likely I could supply markup with some kind of hooks which will enable them to edit things? Or would I have to learn a lot more about Umbraco? and if this is the case, how different are things in the ASP world to everything I'm used to with things like Wordpress or other PHP CMSs?

Thanks for any advice, and apologies for the hand-waving!!!

• Søren Gregersen 441 posts 1884 karma points MVP 2x c-trib
    Jan 07, 2020 @ 09:56
    Søren Gregersen

Hi Danils,

Welcome to Umbraco :)

The biggest difference between wordpress and umbraco, is what you get out of the box. In umbraco you have the option of installing different starter kits, but other than that you need to setup the CMS as needed.

If the company is already on an umbraco platform, and would like to stay on it, you should get in touch with the developers behind that, because you would need to change/add code to that solution. If the client wants to "jump ship", there are different options like Umbraco Cloud that can make it easier to get an umbraco site online. Umbraco Cloud also comes with support, that may be able to help you.

I would suggest you start here https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Getting-Started/

Best regards, Søren

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft