Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jose A. Villaro M. 3 posts 71 karma points
    Jan 08, 2020 @ 19:28
    Jose A. Villaro M.

How to create multiple sites in one Umbraco V8 instance

Hi,

It's been a while since I worked with Umbraco and I´m getting into it again and v8 is just awesome but I´m having a bit of a problem creating multiple websites and testing them in localhost.

I've tried to find a explanation/guide/tutorial to do this and all I get are for versions previous to v8 and for example when I try to add and set to true

Server Error in '/' Application. Object reference not set to an instance of an object. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I create the sites under IIS and add the Culture and Hostnames for each site, for example: localhost:1234 localhost:4321

I remove the

But I just can´t see the sites working. I don't know if I'm missing something, if there are some changes I'm not aware of.

Can someone help me out, give me some pointers or link me a guide or something?

Thanks in advance,

• Dmitriy 168 posts 588 karma points
    Jan 09, 2020 @ 03:44
    Dmitriy

Seems you run an IIS Express version on localhost when you debug your project, right? By default, it launch an instance with a single port, so you can't connect to the second port you set.

All these things should work on live with a real domains.

By the way, if you have to check it on localhost, you can setup several fake local domains. Unfortunatly, I don't remeber how :)

• Jose A. Villaro M. 3 posts 71 karma points
    Jan 09, 2020 @ 12:58
    Jose A. Villaro M.

Hi Dmitriy, thanks for your response.

I've tried it on IIS Express when debugging (saw someone do it on Youtube): #AskPh Episode 57: Mike's Tutorial For Hosting Multiple Sites In Umbraco

But also and more importantly (it's part of a POC for a client) tried it on IIS (using IIS Manager) on my PC based on posts like these:

How to Use One Umbraco Instance to Host Multiple Sites

USING ONE UMBRACO INSTANCE TO HOST MULTIPLE SITES

Hmm just noticed it's the same person who wrote both :)

Doing this doesn't seem to be that difficult so I don´t know if the way of doing this has changed for v8 or there is something wrong on my PC configuration.

• Daniel Gillett 72 posts 149 karma points
    Feb 14, 2020 @ 19:33
    Daniel Gillett

Hello,

One way to set up your "fake" local domains is using the host file in windows system dir. ...also, I would not create the full .com extention and instead use something like

hope this help.

Daniel

• John Bergman 483 posts 1132 karma points
    Apr 29, 2020 @ 14:34
    John Bergman

You should be able to use your localhost:port solution if you use regular IIS,

• Daniel Gillett 72 posts 149 karma points
    Apr 30, 2020 @ 08:14
    Daniel Gillett

Hi all,

Maybe someone will tell me better but...

Instead of creating a seporate website, just add the new website to the bindings in IIS...

enter image description here

then in umbraco, set the host domains and that should do it.

If you're running high traffic websites this 'might' be an issue for you because both sites will be running on the same process/application pool.

Hope this helps,

Daniel

• Marshall Penn 78 posts 258 karma points
    Jul 07, 2021 @ 08:45
    Marshall Penn

Can anyone actually get this working? I am running 8.12.2 on a project and cannot get site2 to deliver its own content/pages. Both sites use AD SSO on the front end/public users, so the site2 is on a seperate webapp, since the return url needs to be different. We have many Umbraco 7 projects/sites running multiple sites, but this is the first one on Umbraco 8 that we are implementing.

We have set the hostnames for each of the sites, but umbraco steadfastly serves up the content for site1 on site2

Actually it seems that any pages from site2 that have a different path from site1 show correctly, but any pages from site2 that have the same path only show site1 content - e.g. the home page!!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft