Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Vincent Vrijburg 2 posts 72 karma points
    Jan 14, 2020 @ 16:49
    Vincent Vrijburg

Automatic parantheses around nodes within the content tree

For some reason the nodes have parentheses around their name within the content tree.

I would like to know why this is and what causes this, because I can't seem to figure it out.

This is what I'm getting to see in my Umbraco project:

enter image description here

• Vincent Vrijburg 2 posts 72 karma points
    Jan 14, 2020 @ 17:12
    Vincent Vrijburg

Update:

After trying a few things out with the Document Types and the Templates I noticed that the parentheses went away after I cleared the 'Allow varying by culture' checkbox from the corresponding Document Type.

I must say, it's quite confusing when there is nothing to find about this in the documentation. At least not with a quick Google search.

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8787 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Jan 22, 2020 @ 15:38
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Hi Vincent,

I've just had a mind-boggle about this as well - I've asked around, hoping someone has a great answer. I'll post it here if/when I get one :)

/Chriztian

• Jeroen Vantroyen 54 posts 394 karma points c-trib
    Apr 20, 2020 @ 16:15
    Jeroen Vantroyen

The content tree tries to display all items in your culture (i.e. the culture you choose in your user profile).

If an item uses varyByCulture and does not have a Name in your culture, the name is displayed in parentheses (to indicate missing content, I presume).

We have also encountered this behaviour, but it's sometimes hard to reproduce. It mostly happens when you've been working in a language that is later removed from the Language-settings.

The key give-away is an "empty" spot where the language dropdown should be (see screenshot, on top of the "Content" section). If you only have 1 language, that dropdown is not displayed, but then you have no need for varying by culture, I'd say.

If that dropdown is displaying as empty, try a) picking a different language, b) clearing the UMB_MCULTURE-cookie or c) pass a different value in the querystring ( ...?mculture=en-US)

enter image description here

• Alex 18 posts 90 karma points
    Apr 21, 2020 @ 13:26
    Alex

"It mostly happens when you've been working in a language that is later removed from the Language-settings."

Oh, now it makes sense. Thank you!

• Rune Grønkjær 1371 posts 3102 karma points
    May 28, 2020 @ 08:13
    Rune Grønkjær

Great answer. Thank you. But I don't understand why this is the behavior. It makes no sense to me. Have this been reported as a bug?

/Rune

• Murray Roke 502 posts 965 karma points c-trib
    Jun 23, 2020 @ 05:03
    Murray Roke

I have English (New Zealand) set as the culture for the website, and there is only one language (at the moment), however I can't set that language on my profile, it only has languages to which the umbraco UI has been translated.

Any clues?

• Sotiris Filippidis 286 posts 1501 karma points
    Nov 26, 2020 @ 14:50
    Sotiris Filippidis

On 8.9.1, I'm setting up a package that adds a language and creates a (varying by culture) home node, with its name and its CultureName in that culture. I, as a user, have set up the same culture. Despite that, I still see the home node inside parentheses. The problem seems to go away if I add a second language (and stays that way even if I remove it!).

So I'm afraid it's a bug, unless I'm doing something wrong!

• Mike Chambers 635 posts 1252 karma points c-trib
    Mar 11, 2021 @ 11:16
    Mike Chambers

https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/issues/9908

single language drops the mculture querystring so we'll always have culture invariant if only one language?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft