Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• aviraj 3 posts 72 karma points
    Jan 16, 2020 @ 06:39
    aviraj

Installation of umbraco v8.4 patches on umraco v7.12 project

Hi Team,

I'm planning to install/ upgrade Umbraco v8.4 in the existing application which supports the Umbraco v7.12.0. And when I started the upgrade it has upgraded the Umbraco SIte and Database properly and everything is working fine from the Umbraco site. But I'm loosing 80% of features from an external application that is connected to the Umbraco system(Due to deprecated function OR newly upgraded library does not support existing source ).

Now I have the below question.

• If I'm loosing 80% of existing work while upgrading to v8.4. Can I
      keep the existing version 7.12.0 as it is and only installs the
      Security Patches on top of v7.12.0? Is it possible?
    • Are Umbraco releases only separate Security patches for 7 generations?
    • What will happen in the future if I don't install the latest upgrade (8
      generations) on v7.12.0? How long Umbraco v7.12 application
      will work fine in the future?

Thanks,

Aviraj N 909615218

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14344 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Jan 18, 2020 @ 08:18
    Marc Goodson

Hi Aviraj

Moving between the 7 series and 8 series of Umbraco is more of a 'migration' than an 'upgrade'.

https://our.umbraco.com/Documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Upgrading/migrating-to-v8

So you would expect a large proportion of the implementation, to require review and ammendment to make the leap.

In terms of remaining on the 7 series, would suggest you look to upgrade to the latest version of 7.15.3 (this contains all the recent security patches for V7) - Umbraco have announced that they will continue to provide support for Umbraco 7 series until September 30th 2023, which will include bug and security patch fixes (being on the latest 7 version will make it easier to apply them when they are released)

https://our.umbraco.com/Documentation/Umbraco8FAQ

regards

Marc

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft