Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ayo Adesina 430 posts 1023 karma points
    Jan 17, 2020 @ 15:44
    Ayo Adesina

Umbraco Events - getting newly created node inside the ContentService.Saved event

This is the first time I'm using Umbraco events in Umbraco 8.

I have subscribed to the ContentService.Saved event and this is firing correctly.

However when a new node is created when I try to use the umbraco helper to retrive it as IPublished content, but I always get null. Why is this?

As I understand it this event fires AFTER the new node has been saved, so I don't understand why I get NULL.

Here is my code, any ideas?

public class SubscribeToSaveEventComposer : ComponentComposer<SubscribeToSaveEventComponent>
    { }

public class SubscribeToSaveEventComponent : IComponent
    {
        public void Initialize()
        {
            ContentService.Saved += ContentService_Saved;
            ContentService.Saving += ContentService_Saving;
        }

private void ContentService_Saved(IContentService sender, ContentSavedEventArgs e)
        {
            foreach (var node in e.SavedEntities)
            {
                if (node.ContentType.Alias == "clientContainer")
                {   
                     //Why is Brand New Node = NULL
                    var brandNewNode = Umbraco.Web.Composing.Current.UmbracoHelper.Content(node.Id);

}
            }
        }

• Malthe Petersen 68 posts 383 karma points c-trib
    Jan 17, 2020 @ 16:00
    Malthe Petersen

Hi.

It is because you try to get something from the cache, which is not yet there.

If you want that, you have to listen to CacheRefreserBase

Jan 17, 2020 @ 16:08
    Ayo Adesina

when you mean listen to CacheRefreserBase what do you mean? I googled that and actually got 0 results lol

Jan 17, 2020 @ 16:28
    Malthe Petersen

It is not yet documented,

Instead if ContentService.Saving/Saved you have to listen to CacheRefresherBase<ContentCacheRefresher>.CacheUpdated and now you should be able to get the newly created node from the cache.

You can also just use save events, but then you need to get the data from the ContentService and that data will come from the database. You can do that by doing Current.Services.ContentService. And it will be of type IContent instead of IPublishedContent.

Jan 17, 2020 @ 16:41
    Ayo Adesina

OK that makes sense, I just tried to do this:

CacheRefresherBase<ContentCacheRefresher>.CacheUpdated += ContentService_Saved; 

but its not compling

No overload for 'ContentService_Saved' matches delegate 'TypedEventHandler

So I'm guessing there is a little more to it, can I have a code sample please?

Jan 17, 2020 @ 16:46
    Malthe Petersen

Sorry I was on my IPad. Here is an example. It is because the arguments is different from the ones you have in your saved method:

public void Initialize()
        {
            CacheRefresherBase<ContentCacheRefresher>.CacheUpdated += CacheUpdated;
        }

private void CacheUpdated(ContentCacheRefresher sender, CacheRefresherEventArgs e)
        {
                var payloads = e.MessageObject as ContentCacheRefresher.JsonPayload[];
                if (payloads == null)
                {
                    return;
                }
        }

The payload needs to be casted to the correct type. :-)

Jan 21, 2020 @ 16:20
    Malthe Petersen

Did you get it to work? :-)

Jan 21, 2020 @ 19:51
    Ayo Adesina

yes :-) Thank you!

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jan 21, 2020 @ 18:52
    Nik

Hi Ayo,

A bit more of an explanation as to why you aren't getting results from the cache.

When you save a content node it doesn't update the cache, instead it updates the underlying database which is accessible via the content service. The Umbraco cache only contains published content, so unless the content was also published (in which case you will want to subscribe to the Published event) you'll either get nothing, or you'll get outdated content.

The published content is stored in the Umbraco Cache to make the frontend faster.

Another thing to be aware of, this isn't the best way to access the Umbraco Cache when you in an event like this. This is because it is possible that an Umbraco Context is missing, instead I'd recommend taking advantage of the built in dependency inject and having a constructor paramter on your Component of type IUmbracoContextFactory. This will have a method called "EnsureUmbracoContext" which returns a UmbracoContextReference on which you can call UmbracoContext and this has a get method to get you IPublishedContent based on an ID.

Hope that makes a bit of sense and explains why it's not working the way you are expecting.

Nik

• Petras Surna 90 posts 144 karma points
    Jan 25, 2021 @ 00:13
    Petras Surna

Unfortunately, the CacheUpdated event is not fired when saving a Member only when saving Content

public void Initialize()
    {
      CacheRefresherBase<ContentCacheRefresher>.CacheUpdated += CacheUpdated;
    }

private void CacheUpdated(ContentCacheRefresher sender, CacheRefresherEventArgs e)
    {
    }

Is there a separate Member Cache Updated event? Or is it possible to read Member properties direct from the database? Reading from the database is fine but I don't know how to do it.

Jan 25, 2021 @ 06:55
    Malthe Petersen

Hi Petras!

You should be able to do something like:

CacheRefresherBase<MemberCacheRefresher>.CacheUpdated += CacheUpdated;

private void CacheUpdated(MemberCacheRefresher sender, CacheRefresherEventArgs e)
    {
    }

Jan 25, 2021 @ 08:00
    Petras Surna

Incredible, that works! Thank you so much.

Jan 25, 2021 @ 08:11
    Malthe Petersen

Perfect! Happy to help.

Jan 25, 2021 @ 11:07
    Petras Surna

I am still having problems doing what I need which is to read the value of a ContentPicker in a Member after it is saved for the first time.

I notice that

CacheRefresherBase<MemberCacheRefresher>.CacheUpdated += CacheUpdated;

Is called before

MemberService.Saved += MemeberService_Saved;

But I can't get the Member details I need in either case when saving a new member.

However, when saving an existing member I can get what I need.

My code to access the ContentPicker is:

var helper = Umbraco.Web.Composing.Current.UmbracoHelper;
      var member = (Umbraco.Web.PublishedModels.Member)helper.Member(payload.Id);
      var organisation = (Umbraco.Web.PublishedModels.Organisation)member.Organisation;
      firstName = member.FirstName;

The organisation has a value when saving an existing Member but not when saving a new Member

Perhaps the value is in the database when one of the events is called and I can read it from there? Not sure how to do that.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft