Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jack 10 posts 91 karma points notactivated
    Jan 20, 2020 @ 10:02
    Jack

Custom OWIN Startup file in Umbraco Cloud project

I'm trying to setup a custom OWIN startup class for an Umbraco 8.4.0 project which was setup with Umbraco Cloud as-a-service. The issue is I can't seem to get the project to recognise my custom startup file exists. Here is the code:

[assembly: OwinStartup(typeof(FischyMusic.Startup))]

namespace FischyMusic
    {
        public class Startup : UmbracoDefaultOwinStartup
        {
            public override void Configuration(IAppBuilder app)
            {
                //ensure the default options are configured
                base.Configuration(app);

// Configure hangfire
                var options = new SqlServerStorageOptions { PrepareSchemaIfNecessary = true };
                const string umbracoConnectionName = Umbraco.Core.Constants.System.UmbracoConnectionName;
                var connectionString = System.Configuration
                    .ConfigurationManager
                    .ConnectionStrings[umbracoConnectionName]
                    .ConnectionString;

GlobalConfiguration.Configuration
                    .UseSqlServerStorage(connectionString, options);

// Give hangfire a URL and start the server                
                app.UseHangfireDashboard("/hangfire");
                app.UseHangfireServer();
            }
        }
    }

And in my web config file I have:

<add key="owin:appStartup" value="Startup" /> 

I have also tried removing the above key completely from the web config file, as my understanding is that it isn't necessary when I am specifying the OwinStartup with this line in my Startup class:

[assembly: OwinStartup(typeof(FischyMusic.Startup))]

Neither option has worked.

Here is the error that I have been getting:

enter image description here

And here is my file structure for the project:

enter image description here

I have been able to get this working in a seperate project that does not sit within Umbraco Cloud. I am wondering if the issue is that Umbraco Cloud creates a ASP.NET Web Site Project rather than a ASP.NET Web Application Project?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've been stuck on this for a few days now.

Thanks

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jan 21, 2020 @ 19:33
    Nik

Hi Jack,

Is the reason for the custom OWIN startup class only to configure Hangfire? If so, there is a way to do it without using a custom OWIN class :-)

Nik

Jan 21, 2020 @ 19:36
    Nik

In the meantime, when I've done this in a v8 site my attribute on the owin class looks a bit different:

[assembly: OwinStartup("UmbracoIdentityStartup", typeof(UmbracoIdentityOwinStartup))]

Notice the string name as the first parameter, if you add that into yours and call it "Startup" see if that resolves the issue for you.

Nik

Jan 22, 2020 @ 10:12
    Jack

Hi Nik,

Thanks for your help. Yes, the only reason I want to do this is to configure hangtime. If there is another way to do this that you could point me in the direction of I would really appreciate it!

As an aside, I have tried the method you used with the named string and that didn't work for me either.

Jack

Jan 22, 2020 @ 10:17
    Nik

Hey Jack,

So you can take advantage of the Composer features of v8, the following is also setting it up to a HangFire job can take advantage of the built in LightInject DI container.

[RuntimeLevel(MinLevel = RuntimeLevel.Boot)]
    public class HangfireStartup : IComposer
    {

public void Compose(Composition composition)
        {

UmbracoDefaultOwinStartup.MiddlewareConfigured += UmbracoDefaultOwinStartup_MiddlewareConfigured;
        }

private void UmbracoDefaultOwinStartup_MiddlewareConfigured(object sender, OwinMiddlewareConfiguredEventArgs e)
        {
            StartHanfgire(e.AppBuilder);

OnHangfireStarted(new HangfireStartedArgs(e.AppBuilder));
        }

private  void StartHanfgire(IAppBuilder app)
        {

//Configure Hangfire
            var options = new SqlServerStorageOptions { PrepareSchemaIfNecessary = true, QueuePollInterval = TimeSpan.FromSeconds(30) };
            const string defaultUmbracoConnectionName = Umbraco.Core.Constants.System.UmbracoConnectionName;
            var connectionString = System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings[defaultUmbracoConnectionName].ConnectionString;

var serviceContainer = new LightInject.ServiceContainer();
            foreach (var t in (Current.Factory.Concrete as LightInject.ServiceContainer).AvailableServices)
                serviceContainer.Register(t);
            serviceContainer.ScopeManagerProvider = new PerLogicalCallContextScopeManagerProvider();

GlobalConfiguration.Configuration.UseSqlServerStorage(connectionString, options)
                .UseLightInjectActivator(serviceContainer);

//Give hangfire a URL and start the server
            app.UseHangfireDashboard("/umbraco/hangfire", new DashboardOptions { AppPath = null, Authorization = new[] { new UmbracoHangfireAuthorizationFilter() } });
            app.UseHangfireServer();

}

public static event EventHandler<HangfireStartedArgs> HangfireStarted;

internal static void OnHangfireStarted(HangfireStartedArgs args)
        {
            HangfireStarted?.Invoke(null, args);
        }

}

Jan 22, 2020 @ 14:49
    Jack

Hi Nik,

Awesome, thanks for the example. So how would I get Umbraco to run the example HangfireStartup class that you provided?

I have created a HangfireStartup.cs file at the root of my web project, with your code inside it, but if I add a breakpoint in that class it doesn't get hit.

Apologies if I'm being stupid here, I don't know much about dependency injection I'm still learning about it.

Thanks

Edit: I should add, I had to remove this line from your example to get my project to build, so maybe that has something to do with Umbraco not picking it up?

.UseLightInjectActivator(serviceContainer);

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft