Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• John Dawson 24 posts 135 karma points
    Jan 20, 2020 @ 11:15
    John Dawson

Trouble getting existing Umbraco build into Azure Web App

I have an existing Umbraco solution that is currently hosted on a dev agency's managed Azure VMs and I am trying to move it to my own Azure subscription in a Web App. I have been following these instructions and also this to set up blob storage for media.

I noticed though that minimum recommended version for running Umbraco in a Web App is 7.7.3. I looked at the web.config in the source code where I can see the version apparently is 7.7.13:

enter image description here

I then opened my solution with the SLN file in the source code with Visual Studio and opened the NuGet package manager to upgrade. I was looking for "UmbracoCms" but could only see listed that "UmbracoCms.Core" was installed:

enter image description here

Here though it says the version is 7.1.9...

Before I start upgrading "UmbracoCms.Core" to version 7.7.3, is this the right way to do this? Or should I install "UmbracoCms" to 7.7.3? This source code has been sent to me from the web dev agency who are currently hosting it, so it is definitely a working copy of the code that runs our web platform in Umbraco...

Thanks!

John

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jan 21, 2020 @ 19:30
    Nik

Hi John,

So seeing the difference between web.config and the nuget package installed would have me raising alot of questions, starting with are you sure you have the most up to date source code.

IF you do have the most up to date source code, I would most likely make the assumption that Umbraco 7.7.13 was installed via a manual update instead of nuget and that the package reference you are seeing for nuget is a bit of a red herring (missleading). The version number shown in web.config should match that in the Umbraco Database - have a look in the UmbracoMigrations table, if I recall correctly it should show the version number in there against the core migration.

Also check the Umbraco dll's in the bin directory as they should have the correct version number against them as well.

Once you can confirm which version of Umbraco you need, I'd be very tempted to start a clean Umbraco project with the correct version number. Point that at the existing site's database and move over files from the old project to the new one until the site is working again. Then you know your site is correct and you can then look at deploying it to Azure.

I'd also highly recommend an Umbraco upgrade to the latest v7 version once you've got it working as the upgrades between 7.7.13 and 7.15.* include alot of fixes and improvements.

Nik

Jan 22, 2020 @ 09:00
    John Dawson

Thanks, Nik! Yes, I have the most up to date source code. I checked the UmbracoMigrations table and the version is indeed 7.7.13, so it must have been installed by manual update.

I'll try a fresh install. The site has been live for a few years now so there is are a lot of bespoke code, files and packages in there. Would there be a particularly sensible order to start copying over the files, or should I just go folder by folder from the top and test each time? Do I need to copy the cache over?

Thanks,

John

Jan 22, 2020 @ 09:16
    Nik

So, if it was me, I'd look in the App_Plugins directory to see what packages are installed. If any of those can be installed via nuget, I'd do that first.

then I'd slowly copy over view files and partial view files

Then I'd run the site and see what errors are thrown. This would then point in the direction of what else needs to be copied :-)

Jan 22, 2020 @ 09:35
    John Dawson

Great, I'll give that a try now - thanks! H5YR

Jan 24, 2020 @ 14:07
    John Dawson

Unfortunately I couldn't set up Umbraco from scratch as I kept getting a failure in connecting to the database. First I was trying locally with a database I had set up in SSMS, then trying to connect to my SQL database in Azure. Either method fails for some reason although the connection/authentication details are correct.

So I loaded the site from an earlier version that worked and it's failing when I install the package UmbracoFileSystemProviders.Azure, which is apparently necessary for dealing with blob storage. Whether I install this package via NuGet or Umbraco CMS, the site returns with an internal server error.

This package is definitely compatible with this version (7.7.13) so I can only assume there is some conflict within the code somewhere...

Jan 25, 2020 @ 14:54
    Nik

What error do you get when you install that package?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft