Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• J 445 posts 862 karma points
    Jan 21, 2020 @ 15:38
    J

Downloaded documents count

Is there a way to capture/view the number of times a particular document has been downloaded?

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jan 21, 2020 @ 18:42
    Nik

Hi J,

Out of the box there isn't a way to do this. The first question is what do you mean by a download? The second is, how are you exposing downloads to the world?

There are various different approaches you could take to achieve this, ranging from a form submission to download a file, through to a custom HTTP Handler to process the requests. Each approach could then update/store tracker into a DB table to count how many times a particular file was downloaded.

Alternatively you could use JavaScript and GoogleTagManager to do something similar.

Nik

• J 445 posts 862 karma points
    Jan 24, 2020 @ 16:04
    J

Hi Nik

The first question is what do you mean by a download?

When a user visits a page on my site and clicks to download any file i.e. doc, pdf etc

The second is, how are you exposing downloads to the world?

They are added to the media section then are selected on the page in question.

So i have a one page which can hold 4 files for the user to download and another page to hold 2 files to download. I would like to track which file has been downloaded.

If i can capture when the file is clicked to download that would suffice. Thank you in advance

• Levente Kosa 136 posts 352 karma points
    Jul 30, 2020 @ 08:43
    Levente Kosa

I'm also interested in this solution. I have a download button and I need to know how many times the users clicked on it. Also I need to see the result in the CMS, not in Google Analytics for instance.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft