Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David Armitage 505 posts 2073 karma points
    Jan 29, 2020 @ 00:51
    David Armitage

Umbraco 7 | Authorization on Media Items | Restrict specific media to members only

Hi Guys,

I have a requirement to restrict specific media items from been opened by non members.

I have already made a start by.

1. Creating a restricted folder within the media which I intend to pop all the restricted media.

2. I I've created a dynamic robots.txt to disallow search engines from indexing these types of documents.

I now need to figure out how to restrict access to these files unless a member is logged in. I'm guessing I need to somehow hijack the route to these files and add some authorisation checks somewhere in between. I am thinking it might actually be better to add a custom property on the media item to enable and disable restricted access.

Has anyone done anything like this before with Umbraco 7 and might have some code to share? I'm looking for any tips on the who route hijack and authorisation part.

Thanks in advanced.

David

• Dennis Adolfi 1082 posts 6446 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Jan 29, 2020 @ 05:55
    Dennis Adolfi

Hi David. I’ve done something like this before, using a custom HttpHandler that intercepted the media file request and validate. In my case I didn’t validate on a member group but instead I needed to validate against an external auth provider, but I guess the principal is the same.

Have a look at this blog post, it’s probably at least half of what you are looking for: https://codeshare.co.uk/blog/how-to-protect-media-items-in-umbraco/

Best of luck! Cheers

• David Armitage 505 posts 2073 karma points
    Jan 29, 2020 @ 06:02
    David Armitage

Hi Dennis,

Just want I am looking for. Thanks

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft