Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Frans de Jong 548 posts 1840 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Jan 30, 2020 @ 14:44
    Frans de Jong

Chinese solution for cloud site

Hi all,

I have a interesting case:

I have a client site running on cloud (domain.eu). The customer wants the site to be available in China (domain.cn).

The requirements are:

• Content editing must happen in the main site
    • We have to manipulate content when the request comes from china
      • Remove or replace google and other blocked services
      • Hide all languages except English and Chinese

They don't really want a solution for the EU site and leave it as is. What they expect is the content to be synced at least every 24 hours.

I'm open to suggestions.

I was for instance looking in to the possibilities to install a slave install in China and connect to the same Database and "misuse" the loadbalancing since Umbraco caches everything?

Another solution would be to put the entire site behind a CDN or something but that collides with the "don't touch the EU site" requirement... Also I'm curious how I can recognize the visitors from China in that way.

Thanks for helping

Frans

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Jan 30, 2020 @ 15:22
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi,

We did this for a customer once.

We put a seperate site (also database) in a Asian data center. Content management was done on the European instance of the website. And we used Courier to transfer the content to the Chinese website.

I think Jeroen Breuer can tell you some more about the details.

Dave

• Jason Prothero 422 posts 1243 karma points c-trib
    Jan 30, 2020 @ 16:14
    Jason Prothero

We have a system that clones sites across regions for failover purposes. That might be useful in this situation.

-Jason

Jan 31, 2020 @ 07:23
    Frans de Jong

Hi Jason,

Do you have more info on this system?

Frans

• Jason Prothero 422 posts 1243 karma points c-trib
    Jan 31, 2020 @ 19:05
    Jason Prothero

Paul and Benjamin wrote a Skrift article on it a couple months back here:

https://skrift.io/articles/archive/umbraco-cloud-failover-with-azure/

I'd be happy to answer questions or just on a Skype next week if you think its a potential solution (or part of the solution).

Thanks, Jason

• Heather Floyd 604 posts 1002 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Jan 30, 2020 @ 17:00
    Heather Floyd

Frans, Does the .CN site need to be on a separate server?

If not, here are two possibilities:

1. Use the main site as a Baseline and set up a separate child site for cn. You can use Deploy to pull content from the baseline site to the CN site.

2. Use Themes (so a fully separate set of Views/Partials) to create the Chinese "version" (excluding google javascripts at the template level, etc.)

If content needs to be "sanitized" somehow as well, you could have some custom HTML Helpers to replace things.

In either case, you can have customized templates for the Chinese site.

Jan 31, 2020 @ 07:34
    Frans de Jong

This solution sounds super interesting. I can keep it in the Cloud ecosystem that way. I only need to check the performance if try to access it from China.

The only way I need to figure out in this situation is some kind of automatic content pull from the baseline site.

• Heather Floyd 604 posts 1002 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Jan 31, 2020 @ 18:35
    Heather Floyd

If you need it to be automatic, then I think you'll need to keep it all in one site and just swap the templates via Theming. I don't think Cloud has any sort of API to control deployments, etc. programmatically.

Reach out if you want me to explain it a bit more - https://heatherfloyd.com/umbraco-discovery-call/

• Paul Sterling 718 posts 1534 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Jan 31, 2020 @ 19:02
    Paul Sterling

Hi Frans -

What Heather is proposing sounds like it'd require less infrastructure type configuration...except for the automated content pull part, which does seem to be the bugger with these solutions.

Perhaps the approach that Jason mentioned and we covered in this Skrift article (https://skrift.io/articles/archive/umbraco-cloud-failover-with-azure/) could work. All the parts covering keeping a site in a different region in sync with an Umbraco Cloud site should work just as outlined. For the domain traffic (.EU vs. .CN) you can configure Azure Traffic Manage to handle that or, if you don't need auto-routed traffic, literally just rely on the host names bound to each site.

What would be really sweet is to be able to use a "baseline child" from an Umbraco Cloud "baseline parent" for a child site outside of the Umbraco Cloud data region...or maybe eventually Cloud will have enough volume that they will support other data regions (ahem, US).

-Paul

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft