Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mikael Axel Kleinwort 140 posts 484 karma points c-trib
    Jan 31, 2020 @ 17:44
    Mikael Axel Kleinwort

Nuget update from 8.5.1 to 8.5.3 fails: "System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80004005): Project unavailable."

In Visual Studio 2019, I try to update my Umbraco web project from 8.5.1 to 8.5.3 using Nuget.

At some point, the update fails with

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80004005): Project unavailable.

and it is rolled back. The exception occures exactly at the time when Visual Studio reports that the project has been modified outside of the environment and asks me if I want to reload.

• Mov3nforward 117 posts 319 karma points
    Jan 31, 2020 @ 19:27
    Mov3nforward

I am having all sorts of issues with updating Umbraco V8 with Nuget. I am trying to go from 8.3 to 8.4. After nuget updates files and I run the site, I am not prompted for an update and the version number does not update in the back office. I really wish Umbraco could find a way to easily make updates easier. I have updated 4 WordPress sites this morning without issue. The 3 Umbraco v8 sites I have are all stuck a v8.3. I have updated my V7 Umbraco sites the same way and have been successful. I have no idea why the update is not working.

• Malthe Petersen 68 posts 383 karma points c-trib
    Jan 31, 2020 @ 19:35
    Malthe Petersen

If you are not prompted to update, you can remove the value of Umbraco.Core.ConfigurationStatus in the Web.config and it will prompt you. :-)

• Mikael Axel Kleinwort 140 posts 484 karma points c-trib
    Feb 01, 2020 @ 14:02
    Mikael Axel Kleinwort

I did some more digging.

After the reported error, the web project was left without Umbraco.CMS installed in packages.config.

So after the original update command failed, I just installed Umbraco.CMS version 8.5.3 into the web project with Nuget, and this worked just like a regular update.

After building, I started the web project and got Umbraco's "Update database" screen. After this, the site is working as expected.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft