Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Colin 46 posts 146 karma points
    Feb 06, 2020 @ 19:45
    Colin

Multi lingual site setup

I have two sites with the possiblity adding another 2 in future.

Site 1 would be English.

Site 2 would be German.

The purpose of the site is to have the admin area as the input area for products. I can create the option so they select English or German so they enter the product in the relevant language (I think this maybe better than translating English to another language but if not I'm happy to see what others do)

I'm creating an ascx control and wondered how I can display the appropriate product in the appropriate language on the Umbraco frontend?

Thx

• Asembli 81 posts 255 karma points
    Feb 07, 2020 @ 22:51
    Asembli

Hi

You can do like this (we do always like this):

1. Create all languages (en, de, it...)
    2. Create first root node and assign language (eg. en)
    3. Create other root nodes and assign diferent language (de, it, ...)
    4. Create another root node and name it Products (or Catalogues if you planing to have more collections like eg. events or news and put them inside Catalogues)
    5. At each’product’, create area with fileds as you like -> convert it to NestedContent as 1-1 to get DataType.
    6. Then convert this NestedContent to Vorto and then you’ll have IPublishedContent with all data in all assigned languages (see this post how it looks like: https://our.umbraco.com/forum/extending-umbraco-and-using-the-api/97525-vorto-copy-complex-data-from-one-lang-to-another)
    7. Then in particular site (inside mentioned roots) load ‘products’ - umbraco knows what language it has, and automatically pick product data from Vorto for particular language

Combination of NestedContents and Vorto is very powerful.

Of course there are some work to be done, but the solution is quite elegant while you have centralized catalogues data in all languages - independend from content site(s). You can then program custom lists and pickers for particular products (using MultinodeTreePicker etc)

(just I don’t know where to put your .ascx file - with U7 I suppose you are using MVC)

Regards,

/Asembly

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft