Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Feb 18, 2020 @ 20:26
    Nicholas Westby

Integrate Files from Media Section and File System?

A client has some files (images, pdf's, videos, and so on) that they maintain in the website folder on the file system.

They also have files they maintain in the media section.

So, imagine files living at both ~/files/ and ~/media/.

Combining them is not something we want to try just now (e.g., forcing all files to be maintained in the media section).

I'm curious if there's some way to allow some sort of integration with the media section so any time you can view files from the media section, you can also view the files from the file system.

I was thinking of a custom file system provider, but wouldn't that only be half the battle since Umbraco stores references to all the items from the media section in the database? So, using that approach, there wouldn't be a way to expose the other files on the file system via the media section and media pickers (since the other files on the file system don't exist in the database)?

Other ideas that I would prefer to not have to resort to (they have some pitfalls I don't like):

• Create a sync process so all the files on the file system get mirrored in the media library.
    • Create a custom "Media or File Picker" property editor (when picking a file, it would not upload to the media section, but it would still allow you to browse the file system for the file). This would not work for the rich text editor.

Note that this is an Umbraco 7 (not an Umbraco 8) site.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft