Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Erik Vleugel 4 posts 74 karma points
    Feb 24, 2020 @ 12:32
    Erik Vleugel

'Folder' node in content tree, which is no separate page, to better organize content

In Umbraco 8 is it possible to have nodes in the tree, which are not used as a separate page? E.g. a 'folder' node to organize content.

Root - Folder A - Content

The Content folder will have an url of /folder-a/content, while I would want it to be /content

Already tried using the Virtual Nodes plugin to exclude the 'folder' document type. But this gives errors when trying to add content under the 'folder'

• Ken Burcham 9 posts 100 karma points c-trib
    Feb 28, 2020 @ 16:01
    Ken Burcham

Hi Erik,

I'm new to Umbraco, but I had the same question and this is how I solved it.

1) In Settings -> Document Types, I created a type called "Content Folder" and gave it no content (well, except a Visibility Composition, but that's optional).

2) Under permissions for my new Content Folder, for "Allowed child node types" I added my "Content" and "Content Folder".

3) Then under my "Home" document type permissions, I allowed my Content Folder as a child node type.

Now when I go to "Home" under Content, I can add a "Content Folder" and under any Content Folder I can add a Content page or another Content Folder.

I haven't sorted out the URLs yet. What I notice is that each folder adds to the url, such that a Content page nested under a couple of the Content Folders has each folder in the URL, which seems right. But it may have other issues when I construct the menu...

Anyhow, I hope that helps! And if you (or someone) has a better way, I'd love to know it.

• Erik Vleugel 4 posts 74 karma points
    Mar 03, 2020 @ 10:27
    Erik Vleugel

Hi Ken,

thanks for your reply.

The fact the folder adds to the url is what I am trying to avoid. I am looking for a way to order content in the content tree without adding it to the url.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft