Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Colin 46 posts 146 karma points
    Feb 24, 2020 @ 14:17
    Colin

How to redirect by country

Hi

2 sites under Umbraco, Uk and Germany. I have added the relevant URLs under cultures.

If a user is in Germany how could I have them automatically redirect to the German site?

Thank you

• Garðar Þorsteinsson 113 posts 534 karma points
    Feb 24, 2020 @ 15:01
    Garðar Þorsteinsson

Hi Colin,

You would use a service for example like Maxmind GeoIp to find out from what country the ip address is from.

https://www.maxmind.com/en/geoip2-country-database

You would look this up on the first request to the site and redirect from there.

• Adam Werner 21 posts 202 karma points MVP c-trib
    Feb 24, 2020 @ 15:47
    Adam Werner

Employing a geolocation service can prove very helpful.

An alternative to this could be querying the requesting browser for user languages. If present, you could perform a redirect based on the related culture information.

This approach was a result of being involved in a project that did not permit the use of a geolocation service and and so determining the requesting browser culture information seemed the best approach.

• Colin 46 posts 146 karma points
    Feb 24, 2020 @ 19:52
    Colin

Hi guys

So the component above is chargeable which may not be an option. Alternatively if I query the user language I could use that approach.

What could/would determine the user language being null/empty?

Thanks

• Adam Werner 21 posts 202 karma points MVP c-trib
    Feb 25, 2020 @ 04:21
    Adam Werner

In some instances, the requested language settings just didn't come across and the prevailing thought was either the browser wasn't sending that information along or that the user never selected a specific language of their choosing.

In the scenario of a user language being null/empty, the decision was made to send the user to what would be the default language of the web site. For this project, the default language was English and a navigation element was created to allow for switching between the different language offerings.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft