Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bobi 346 posts 950 karma points
    Feb 25, 2020 @ 16:26
    Bobi

How to properly copy database from server to localhost?

Is there a recommended way to copy the server's sql database to the localhost? Right now I use sql server management studio to backup the server's database. I then copy that backup to the localhost and restore the localhost database to the server's backup. I then use visual studio to run schema compare and data compare and I allow them to update (usually it is just data compare that updates the tables, even though 2 tables are not updated ... probably because they are linked to the actual server name).

However, although this solution is the most streamlined, I tend to run into an issue with losing some backend data that does not carry over to the localhost. There must be an easier way to copy the database.

• Shaishav Karnani from digitallymedia.com 354 posts 1638 karma points
    Feb 25, 2020 @ 16:39
    Shaishav Karnani from digitallymedia.com

Hi Bobi,

You can remove your local copy of database and just restore the downloaded server database. That way you will always have exact server copy.

Cheers, Shaishav

• Bobi 346 posts 950 karma points
    Feb 25, 2020 @ 16:44
    Bobi

Hi, thank you for your reply. That’s what I did in sql management studio - backup server copy and restore that copy on local computer. However, I notice some tables don’t copy when doing a data compare in visual studio. The main problem is that some information is not available anymore on local machine even after restoring the server database. For example, I use a custom built form (name is form editor) which saves form submission to database in backend but those submissions are no longer available on the local machine even after restoring server database.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft