Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mikael Axel Kleinwort 140 posts 484 karma points c-trib
    Mar 02, 2020 @ 16:41
    Mikael Axel Kleinwort

Blog Package with in-site comments

I am looking for a good blog package for Umbraco 8 which provides a comments function where comments are kept inside of Umbraco. Is there a package like this around which is still well maintained?

I found the Articulate blog package, but it uses 3rd-party plugins for the comments. I found several comments plugins for Umbraco but they all seem to be rather dated and not maintained anymore.

I am grateful for some recommendations.

Thank you! Mikael

• Marc Goodson 2122 posts 14213 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Jul 24, 2023 @ 07:36
    Marc Goodson

Hi Mikael

People tend to avoid storing user-generated content like comments in Umbraco, because each save and publish when a comment is made would flush out the memory cache, and suddenly you could find yourself with a thousand comment nodes in Umbraco if something goes viral, or is robotised...

but for a small site, 'it could be ok'

but I think it's why most packages that used to do this kind of thing aren't maintained anymore, people would either use a third party service (like articulate) or have a custom database table to store the comments outside fo Umbraco (although with a package like UI-O-Matic timgeyssens.gitbook.io/ui-o-matic/ would enable the table to be edited via the backoffice)

But all that said, I think you could probably achieve what you are describing with 'Umbraco Forms'... if you create an Umbraco Form for the 'commenting' - and display it under the blog post - then there is a workflow option called 'save as Umbraco content node' (or you could create your own custom Workflow Type) and with Forms you have the notion of workflow 'after approval' so comments could wait in Umbraco Forms, you could notify yourself when they arrive, and the action of approving could trigger the workflow to save the comment content as an Umbraco Node...

... but still with all the caveats over this is a good idea or not!

regards

marc

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft