Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• William Even 23 posts 153 karma points
    Mar 02, 2020 @ 21:23
    William Even

I am trying to re-order a document type that contains quite a few compositions and there seems to be no rhyme nor reason to the process. No matter what I have tried whether it be reordering the compositions, or reordering the compositions and properties inside the compositions, it seems impossible to reorder them the way I want. This really seems like a bug and it appears it has been around since, at least, Version 7. Is there going to be any resolution to this or am I missing something?

Thanks, Bill Even CTG

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Mar 02, 2020 @ 21:51
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Bill,

How are you reordering the properties in the compositions? Using the drag-n-drop? or manually entering the sort order numbers?

When I'm using compositions, I manually enter the sort order numbers and go with increments of 10 to group certain fields. That way I can manually tweak the ordering of any non-composition'd properties.

Cheers,
    - Lee

Mar 03, 2020 @ 15:26
    William Even

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I just don't understand the reorder process. How do the numbers on the compositions relate to the numbers of the properties in the compositions?

I thought if I number the compositions in order and then number the properties inside the compositions the way I want them, that everything would line up.

Bill

Mar 03, 2020 @ 15:46
    William Even

Hi Lee,

I played around with what you said, and it worked. I spread out the compositions themselves (10, 20, 30) and numbered the individual properties in each composition in order (11, 12, 13; 21,22,23; etc.).

Lesson learned. A virtual high five to you. You rock!!

Bill

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Mar 03, 2020 @ 16:12
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Bill,

Happy to hear that you've got it working! There's definitely an "ah-ha!" moment with how it works.

If you're interested in some of our insights about DocTypes, Compositions and properties... Marc Goodson and I did a talk at CG18 about "Applying Atomic Design to Umbraco" ... warning, it's a little quirky and contains sock puppets ... but at some point we make reference to the Property sort order number being like the atomic numbers of the Periodic Table.

Cheers,
    - Lee

• Nurhak Kaya 53 posts 147 karma points MVP 2x c-trib
    Apr 03, 2023 @ 17:23
    Nurhak Kaya

Lee's answer is still valid for v10.4.2 projects.

Mar 03, 2020 @ 16:14
    William Even

Hi Lee,

I have already bookmarked your talk and will definitely watch. You had me at sock puppets...

Peace, Bill

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft