Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• cronjob78 2 posts 72 karma points
    Mar 17, 2020 @ 11:17
    cronjob78

Publishing changes when republish site doesnt work

I'm a linux head with plenty non-dot net CMS experience so an Umbraco newbie. Haven't come across this server side caching thing before.

Usually if any changes I make in Umbraco aren't appearing I run

umbraco/dialogs/republish.aspx or umbraco/dialogs/republish.aspx&xml=true

and it eventually turns up.

However the client wants to add a footer link. I'm adding it in settings->footer and the change isn't showing up even when I republish. I'm then going into

settings->templates->_Footer.cshtml

making a trivial change to the code and clicking on "Save" and then republishing the entire site. No joy. Link doesn't show up.

I assume there's another level of republishing or rebuilding that needs to happen for the link to be pulled into the site code? I've spent an hour browsing the forum here and looking at docs.

Any help appreciated.

ps: Happy St. Patrick's Day!

• Marc Goodson 2138 posts 14321 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Mar 22, 2020 @ 08:19
    Marc Goodson

Hi cronjob78

Does the trivial change you make the _footer.cshtml show up? eg if you add a comment, can you see that updated the page - that would indicate whether the 'output' of the view/partial view is being cached.

If the implementation is using inbuilt Umbraco Partial or Macro Caching, then publishing any page is designed to break the cache.

It's possible that the site has been implemented with very (over the top) server side caching, when retrieving the link items, in these cases there is usually some custom mechanism for breaking the cache, eg publishing a 'Settings' page or the 'Homepage' is the only thing that will trigger the clearing of the cache.

If you perform an application pool recycle on the server, does this make the link appear? This would trigger a complete clear of any caching, if the link doesn't appear then, then maybe there is some logic that is preventing the item from appearing (eg hide from navigation is ticked for the item, or it's of a particular document type that is excluded from the menu in the code, or it isn't itself published).

Other considerations are whether the site is 'load balanced' across multiple servers? and the cache isn't being broken properly, eg the link appears on one server but not the other, and you are previewing on the server without the link.

Just some thoughts anyway.

regards

Marc

• cronjob78 2 posts 72 karma points
    Mar 24, 2020 @ 16:20
    cronjob78

Thanks for the detailed reply to this. The changes I made showed up before you posted, a few hours afterwards. I'll go through your response and see if I can work out what's happening here.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft