Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bobi 346 posts 950 karma points
    Apr 06, 2020 @ 00:18
    Bobi

Updating Umbraco during development

Hi, any recommendations on how to approach umbraco development when constant updates are being released? If I haven’t gotten very far with development should I just start from scratch or could I preserve the sql database and just start a new VS solution using the most up to date version of umbraco with the same database?

For example, if I start a project a month ago with v8.5 but haven’t made any customization to the files, only additions to content in the sql database, and put the project on pause for a few weeks but now v8.6 is our, should I just start from scratch or can I just start a new project and copy the database into the new project running v8.6?

• Yakov Lebski 553 posts 2117 karma points
    Apr 06, 2020 @ 02:00
    Yakov Lebski

You can just upgarde your existing project to new version, if you working with Nuget it is very simple procedure

detailed instruction you can find https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Upgrading/

• Bobi 346 posts 950 karma points
    Apr 06, 2020 @ 02:39
    Bobi

Hi, yes, but it is always a hassle when dealing with .config filed, etc. that I have changed. Could I just start a new project with the the updated umbraco but just use the same database and let the database update?

• Yakov Lebski 553 posts 2117 karma points
    Apr 06, 2020 @ 02:55
    Yakov Lebski

You don't need start new project (techincally you can, but it make more deal with it), conifg files will be untouched or you can merge it in your IDE

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft