Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• J 445 posts 862 karma points
    Apr 09, 2020 @ 10:48
    J

How to set culture from code-behind

Im using Umbraco 7 with a web user control. I have a template set with culture and hostnames set as inherited and on my user control page load event i add

Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentCulture = new CultureInfo("de-DE");
        Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentUICulture = new CultureInfo("de-DE");

I have an resx file setup but the info never pulls through for Germany?

Any pointers please?

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Apr 09, 2020 @ 11:24
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi J

Can you check what culture is set to the domain you are running in Umbraco? Check hostnames and cultures for the root node

Thanks,

Alex

Apr 09, 2020 @ 11:44
    J

Hi Alex the root is set to inherit?

Thanks

Apr 09, 2020 @ 12:36
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi J

What about the domains section? Did you add the domain you use?

Apr 09, 2020 @ 12:44
    J

Ah i think i know what you're asking. So i right clicked the root node at the top of the page and that is set to en-US against the domain name.

I then have a usercontrol further down the line, where i would like to override or set a new culture and language so the content in me resx would display.

Many thanks

Apr 09, 2020 @ 13:14
    Alex Skrypnyk

J, if you want to render "de-DE" in the English version page I think you have to set the culture in the correct event handler in the user control.

Where do you try to set it? In Which event?

Apr 10, 2020 @ 11:47
    J

Hey Alex

Sorry for the multiple edits. How about Page load? I can set it there to get the info from my resx file (unless it can be automatically which is great)?

just tried this and this didnt work either :-(

var Newculture = new System.Globalization.CultureInfo("de-DE");
            System.Globalization.CultureInfo.DefaultThreadCurrentCulture = Newculture;
            System.Globalization.CultureInfo.DefaultThreadCurrentUICulture = Newculture;

lblInfo.Text = (string)GetGlobalResourceObject("Resource", "Info");

The template lang is set to en and inherit on the nodes but on page load i look at the variables and theyre set to German (or whatever i set it to) if i enter the below code i can see the name set by the above code

Newculture.EnglishName;

not sure what the heck is going on? I then viewed page source and can see href lang="en". Changed to "de" which didnt make a difference unless im missing something?

Hoping someone could point me in the right direction?

Thanks again

Apr 10, 2020 @ 12:55
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hey J

You can pass CultureInfo to the method: GetGlobalResourceObject(String, String, CultureInfo)

lblInfo.Text = (string)GetGlobalResourceObject("Resource", "Info", Newculture);

Apr 10, 2020 @ 13:11
    J

Hey Alex

I get the error

No overload for method 'GetGlobalResourceObject' takes 3 arguments

I then thought about changing the Resource name as my France resource file is called Resource.fr-FR

lblInfo.Text = (string)GetGlobalResourceObject("Resource.fr-FR", "Info");

(Note the new Resource class name - but this threw an error :-(

Thanks

Apr 10, 2020 @ 13:31
    Alex Skrypnyk
    var userLanguage = "de-DE";

System.Threading.Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentUICulture = System.Globalization.CultureInfo.GetCultureInfo(userLanguage);
    System.Threading.Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentCulture = System.Globalization.CultureInfo.GetCultureInfo(userLanguage);

lblInfo.Text = (string)HttpContext.GetGlobalResourceObject("Resource", "Info");

What about this way?

Apr 10, 2020 @ 13:33
    Alex Skrypnyk

try to use GetLocalResourceObject method like this:

HttpContext.GetLocalResourceObject("Resource", "Info", New CultureInfo("de"))

Apr 10, 2020 @ 15:53
    J

THANK YOU Alex - This is now working. Thanks again very much. Hopefully i dont come across any more issues but really thankful for getting me on track.

Just a side question :-). If i want to swap between languages could i store the value in session so if a user goes from German to English to Russian over multiple pages it would display the appropriate language selected?

Thanks again

Apr 10, 2020 @ 16:06
    Alex Skrypnyk

Amazing, happy to help.

You can store in the session selected language, but as I understood page language is English but you need to show German - isn't it an issue we solved?

Apr 10, 2020 @ 18:13
    J

Yes it is an issue that's resolved but just in case I need to add more languages in future.

I didn't want to complicate things but I save the data in the database for Germany and United Kingdom. I have one template/page and can load the data. The problem I was having certain static words on the template were not displaying in German.

The above resolved that but I thought to make it a little more reusable where if I need to add another country in future I could save the language in session and load the same template with another country's language.

Thanks

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft