Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Lee 1130 posts 3088 karma points
    Apr 24, 2020 @ 06:23
    Lee

What basic features should be in a V8 forum package?

I am pondering with the idea of redeveloping Dialogue for Umbraco v8. I haven't touched v8 apart from watching videos and reading posts. So it could be a good exercise / crash course for me.

However, I don't want to waste time making a package no one wants or would be willing to contribute too. I have a couple of questions below, if you can copy and paste into your reply then write your answers under each it would be appreciated.

1) What OOTB/standard features would you expect a v8 forum package to have? Be sensible and nothing specific/niche to you or a project you are working on.

Your answer here <<

2) Do you think all content should be stored as nodes? i.e. Posts, Topics. Or would you be fine with custom tables or even cloud storage (Azure Table Storage/CosmosDB)?

Your answer here <<

• Owain Williams 480 posts 1412 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Apr 24, 2020 @ 09:08
    Owain Williams

I think a forum package would be amazing. There is still room in this world for forums. I've just put some quick thoughts down that jump to mind but I guess its probably worth looking at packages that are currently available and seeing what features you like and would like to make in the first version.

What OOTB/standard features would you expect a v8 forum package to have? Be sensible and nothing specific/niche to you or a project you are working on.

Setup: create boards, sub boards and sections Admin: Have ability to set admins, mods and general users. Notifications: Email notifications on replies to subjects Backoffice: Ability to moderate users and posts

Do you think all content should be stored as nodes? i.e. Posts, Topics. Or would you be fine with custom tables or even cloud storage (Azure Table Storage/CosmosDB)?

custom table I think otherwise the backoffice could become really clunky, if I'm understanding things right.

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Apr 24, 2020 @ 10:17
    Rich Green

Hey Lee,

Hope all good my friend, long time and all that :)

Funnily enough I'm researching Forums for a side project I'm looking into.

As much as I love Umbraco it wasn't in my thoughts, as there are so many Open Source Forums out there that are feature rich.

The one I'm gravitating to is https://www.discourse.org

Now, if there was Umbraco Forum which looked as good and had the same feature set I'd be over the moon and would happily pay and use it.

However seems like a big task to build this from scratch.

The downside to using a Forum outside of the .NET / Umbraco world is that I can't use my experience.

Guess it's a long way of saying, is it a case of trying to get something into Umbraco because we love it, or could it be an offering that was different to what's out there?

For me what's missing with the classic forums is integrating them into a beautiful content managed website which is where Umbraco comes into it's own.

Not sure I've helped but they are my thoughts :)

Rich

• Lee 1130 posts 3088 karma points
    Apr 28, 2020 @ 07:56
    Lee

Thanks for replying chaps. I don't think it's worth the effort right now and it doesn't seem like it's something that, that many people would need/be interested in.

@Rich long time indeed my good man! A lot of those features from that frum you linked to are already in Dialogue for v7. The forum package I did for that. I think it still installs and works, so if you are researching for a v7 site then take a look at that. All the source is on Github too.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft