Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Wade 43 posts 159 karma points
    Apr 24, 2020 @ 08:26
    Wade

Sql CE database error - Exception: System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeException (0x80004005) after host migrated servers

Hi all, I know this is an old version of Umbraco, and it is an old CE database, but I am completely stuck. In 2015 I built a site for a client in Umbraco 7.1.4 with a CE compact database. All worked perfectly until this evening when I was contacted by the client that the website was down after the webhost changed servers without informing anyone. I'm assuming that they just tried to copy all the files over and the database isn't working properly now. The error is below.

A few problems is that now I am in a different country on a laptop for the foreseeable future and the install files and webmatrix etc are all on my work computer back home. I'm not sure how to debug.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: SqlCE4Umbraco.SqlCeProviderException: Error running Reader:
    SQL Statement:
    SELECT id, domainName FROM umbracoDomains ORDER BY id

Exception:
    System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeException (0x80004005): Unable to load the native components of SQL Server Compact corresponding to the ADO.NET provider of version 8876. Install the correct version of SQL Server Compact. Refer to KB article 974247 for more details.
      at System.Data.SqlServerCe.NativeMethods.LoadNativeBinaries()
      at System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeConnection..ctor()
      at System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeConnection..ctor(String connectionString)
      at SQLCE4Umbraco.SqlCeContextGuardian.EnsureOpenBackgroundConnection(String connectionString)
      at SQLCE4Umbraco.SqlCeContextGuardian.Open(String connectionString)
      at SqlCE4Umbraco.SqlCeApplicationBlock.ExecuteReader(String connectionString, CommandType commandType, String commandText, SqlCeParameter[] commandParameters

I've downloaded a fresh install of 7.1.4 and have copied over the amd and x84 folders to the bin folder, but that hasn't helped. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Wade.

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Apr 24, 2020 @ 09:23
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Wade

Looks like some Windows updates missing or making this problem, not sure what exactly. But for me SQLCE works on my servers

Thanks,

Alex

Apr 24, 2020 @ 20:48
    Wade

Hi Alex, Do you think I might have to install webmatrix on this computer and try to download then redeploy so that the correct files are there?

Apr 24, 2020 @ 21:01
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Wade,

I think SQL Server Compact 4 isn't installed on the server. Can you check that?

Alex

Apr 24, 2020 @ 22:02
    Wade

Hi Alex, It looks like the correct files are there. Is there another way of checking?

enter image description here enter image description here

Apr 24, 2020 @ 22:27
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hm, it looks like needed dll is in place.

Apr 24, 2020 @ 22:30
    Alex Skrypnyk

Check that all folders have needed permissions, so IIS is able to have access to all folders and files

https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/getting-started/setup/server-setup/permissions

Apr 24, 2020 @ 22:34
    Wade

Thanks Alex. Yes I've checked that the folders have that and it looks like they are. I've just emailed support and made sure that all are, in case there is something else they need to do.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft