Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ashley Booth 1 post 71 karma points
    Apr 27, 2020 @ 19:22
    Ashley Booth

I am adding a page to my website by duplicating a preexisting page and adding a few properties. Whenever I try to preview it, I get a runtime error. Is there a way to fix this or should I be going about this in a different way? enter image description here

• Chris Norwood 131 posts 642 karma points
    Apr 27, 2020 @ 20:06
    Chris Norwood

Not too sure what you mean by "duplicating an existing page and adding a few properties", but if you want to see the error that's actually occurring you can switch custom errors off in the web.config file as per the message, which might give you a clue as to why it's not working (if you have access to the web.config file) - that will show you the error and the line of code it's happening on.

If you're copying/pasting a page in the back office to create a new page, are you setting all of the properties the template expects? How are you adding properties?

Without seeing the actual error it's hard to know what's going wrong - my first port of call would be to see if I could identify the error that's actually occurring and what line of code is causing it.

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Apr 27, 2020 @ 21:46
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Ashley,

Try to turn off custom errors and you probably will see the reason why it's not working.

Another way, try to go to /app_data/logs and find in the log what is the issue.

Another way you can install DiploTraceLogViewer package and check the log from the backoffice - https://our.umbraco.com/packages/developer-tools/diplo-trace-log-viewer/

Thanks,

Alex

• mattou07 15 posts 109 karma points MVP 2x c-trib
    Apr 28, 2020 @ 08:06
    mattou07

To further add to Alex's comment, to turn off custom errors go to your web.config file and look for a line starting with:

<customErrors mode=

In most cases its set to <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" change "RemoteOnly" to "Off" and you will be able to more details about the error when you load the page again. This should give you a hint to whats wrong.

Feel free to show the error message here and we can further assist you. Don't forget to set the mode back to what it was previously once the issue is fixed.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft