Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at


  • Ifrahim Rasool 28 posts 82 karma points
    Apr 28, 2020 @ 23:24
    Ifrahim Rasool
    0

    Umbraco upgrade from v8.5.5 to v8.6.1 throw "Boot Failed" error

    Hi, I am trying to upgrade Umbraco 8.5.5 to 8.6.1. The update process runs fine but when I run my project, it builds fine but fails to run. It first asks me to "Download and Debug" a file and then throws "Umbraco.Core.Exceptions.BootFailedException: Boot failed".

    I have tried updating Umbraco via Package Manager Console, NuGet package manager, re-cloned my repository, refreshed database but no use.

    I have looked at a few other related posts but nothing helped me. If this is related to Umbraco update process, I am not really sure as I followed the standard update process.

    Can anyone help me please?

    enter image description here

  • Prosper Nsengiyumva 18 posts 159 karma points
    Apr 29, 2020 @ 00:33
    Prosper Nsengiyumva
    0

    You might have a package/code that is incompatible with version 8.6.1

  • Ifrahim Rasool 28 posts 82 karma points
    Apr 29, 2020 @ 13:24
    Ifrahim Rasool
    0

    Tried updating all packages. still no use

  • Prosper Nsengiyumva 18 posts 159 karma points
    Apr 29, 2020 @ 13:46
    Prosper Nsengiyumva
    0

    Did all packages update successfully?

  • Nik 1512 posts 6680 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Apr 29, 2020 @ 07:32
    Nik
    0

    Hi Ifrahim,

    When you performed the upgrade, did you do any config changes at the same time?

    Nik

  • Ifrahim Rasool 28 posts 82 karma points
    Apr 29, 2020 @ 10:38
    Ifrahim Rasool
    0

    Hi Nik

    I didnt do any config changes. Just like a standard upgrade process, I ran Nuget command and chose to overwrite files (as asked).

  • Marc Love (uSkinned.net) 395 posts 1363 karma points
    Apr 29, 2020 @ 10:48
    Marc Love (uSkinned.net)
    0

    I have seen this before, a restart of the website and app pool resolved this for me.

  • Ifrahim Rasool 28 posts 82 karma points
    Apr 29, 2020 @ 13:24
    Ifrahim Rasool
    0

    Still didnt work for me

  • Ifrahim Rasool 28 posts 82 karma points
    Apr 29, 2020 @ 22:18
    Ifrahim Rasool
    0

    Removing entry for "Umbraco.Core.MainDom.Lock" in web.config seems to fix the issue.

    The default MainDom implementation of using a system-wide semaphore lock doesn't natively work on Azure because Azure doesn't respect system-wide semaphore or event wait handles.
    

    Thanks for your help guys.

  • Yakov Lebski 473 posts 1878 karma points
    Apr 30, 2020 @ 02:54
    Yakov Lebski
    0

    check that you have these keys in web.config

    <add
        key="Umbraco.Core.MainDom.Lock"
        value="SqlMainDomLock" />
    <add
        key="Umbraco.Core.LocalTempStorage"
        value="EnvironmentTemp" />
    <add
        key="Umbraco.Examine.LuceneDirectoryFactory"
        value="Examine.LuceneEngine.Directories.SyncTempEnvDirectoryFactory, Examine" />
    
  • Andy Finn 51 posts 182 karma points
    Apr 30, 2020 @ 11:56
    Andy Finn
    0

    Same issue Boot Failed

    <add
        key="Umbraco.Core.MainDom.Lock"
        value="SqlMainDomLock" />
    

    during the upgrade . Wont allow the upgrade to take place . Once you remove this it allows the upgrade to be done . I see this is in the log : Execute "AddMainDomLock" Once the Upgrade of the db is done , Then once the upgrade is completed this can be re-added

    <add
        key="Umbraco.Core.MainDom.Lock"
        value="SqlMainDomLock" />
    

    So not sure what is does ? or why is it required ? But if its not added i get error Lock.timeouts in log . So can someone explain what this does ? Andy

  • Nik 1512 posts 6680 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Apr 30, 2020 @ 12:32
    Nik
    0

    The SqlMainDomLock app setting key is need on Azure websites to change how the MainDomLock works. This is because previously a file lock was used (which on a VPS/Shared Hosting is no problem), however the Main Dom Lock behaviour on Azure doesn't work how Main Dom locks were meant to work and as such it would result in "File locked" errors being thrown where Nucache and Examine files couldn't be accessed after a slot swap/restart/auto move.

    After a lot of investigation into this bizarre file lock error the cause was finally found and this key was introduced to change the lock from a File Lock to one in SQL.

    In "theory" having the key in place before the Upgrade runs shouldn't be an issue, or having it on a non-azure environment, but it appears (based on various reports including this thread) that, because of various restarts, it does cause an issue.

    The general advice is don't have the key in place during the upgrade but add it after the upgrade has been completed if you need it.

  • Gabor Ferencz 29 posts 139 karma points
    1 week ago
    Gabor Ferencz
    0

    Hi! I'm having a very similar issue. I'm not upgrading, but just sometimes my application gets into this lock situation and either fails to boot, getting the following error, that I cannot find the cause of:

    [BootFailedException: Boot failed: Umbraco cannot run. See Umbraco&#39;s log file for more details.
    -&gt; Umbraco.Core.Exceptions.BootFailedException: Boot failed.
    -&gt; System.TimeoutException: Cannot acquire MainDom
       at Umbraco.Core.Runtime.MainDom.Acquire() in D:\a\1\s\src\Umbraco.Core\Runtime\MainDom.cs:line 172
    

    Or sometimes it throws errors, when one of my replica servers are coming up:

    enter image description here

    I really need help fixing this, as I'm starting to think that Umbraco 8..18.4 is faulty.

    There is one CMS server, and 2-4 front-end servers that are running in a kube instance in my case...

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft