Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ifrahim Rasool 28 posts 84 karma points
    Apr 28, 2020 @ 23:24
    Ifrahim Rasool

Umbraco upgrade from v8.5.5 to v8.6.1 throw "Boot Failed" error

Hi, I am trying to upgrade Umbraco 8.5.5 to 8.6.1. The update process runs fine but when I run my project, it builds fine but fails to run. It first asks me to "Download and Debug" a file and then throws "Umbraco.Core.Exceptions.BootFailedException: Boot failed".

I have tried updating Umbraco via Package Manager Console, NuGet package manager, re-cloned my repository, refreshed database but no use.

I have looked at a few other related posts but nothing helped me. If this is related to Umbraco update process, I am not really sure as I followed the standard update process.

Can anyone help me please?

enter image description here

• UmbracoTests 28 posts 179 karma points
    Apr 29, 2020 @ 00:33
    UmbracoTests

You might have a package/code that is incompatible with version 8.6.1

Apr 29, 2020 @ 13:24
    Ifrahim Rasool

Tried updating all packages. still no use

• UmbracoTests 28 posts 179 karma points
    Apr 29, 2020 @ 13:46
    UmbracoTests

Did all packages update successfully?

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Apr 29, 2020 @ 07:32
    Nik

Hi Ifrahim,

When you performed the upgrade, did you do any config changes at the same time?

Nik

Apr 29, 2020 @ 10:38
    Ifrahim Rasool

Hi Nik

I didnt do any config changes. Just like a standard upgrade process, I ran Nuget command and chose to overwrite files (as asked).

• Marc Love (uSkinned.net) 432 posts 1691 karma points
    Apr 29, 2020 @ 10:48
    Marc Love (uSkinned.net)

I have seen this before, a restart of the website and app pool resolved this for me.

Apr 29, 2020 @ 13:24
    Ifrahim Rasool

Still didnt work for me

Apr 29, 2020 @ 22:18
    Ifrahim Rasool

Removing entry for "Umbraco.Core.MainDom.Lock" in web.config seems to fix the issue.

The default MainDom implementation of using a system-wide semaphore lock doesn't natively work on Azure because Azure doesn't respect system-wide semaphore or event wait handles.

Thanks for your help guys.

• Yakov Lebski 554 posts 2118 karma points
    Apr 30, 2020 @ 02:54
    Yakov Lebski

check that you have these keys in web.config

<add
        key="Umbraco.Core.MainDom.Lock"
        value="SqlMainDomLock" />
    <add
        key="Umbraco.Core.LocalTempStorage"
        value="EnvironmentTemp" />
    <add
        key="Umbraco.Examine.LuceneDirectoryFactory"
        value="Examine.LuceneEngine.Directories.SyncTempEnvDirectoryFactory, Examine" />

• Andy Finn 51 posts 183 karma points
    Apr 30, 2020 @ 11:56
    Andy Finn

Same issue Boot Failed

<add

during the upgrade . Wont allow the upgrade to take place . Once you remove this it allows the upgrade to be done . I see this is in the log : Execute "AddMainDomLock" Once the Upgrade of the db is done , Then once the upgrade is completed this can be re-added

<add

So not sure what is does ? or why is it required ? But if its not added i get error Lock.timeouts in log . So can someone explain what this does ? Andy

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Apr 30, 2020 @ 12:32
    Nik

The SqlMainDomLock app setting key is need on Azure websites to change how the MainDomLock works. This is because previously a file lock was used (which on a VPS/Shared Hosting is no problem), however the Main Dom Lock behaviour on Azure doesn't work how Main Dom locks were meant to work and as such it would result in "File locked" errors being thrown where Nucache and Examine files couldn't be accessed after a slot swap/restart/auto move.

After a lot of investigation into this bizarre file lock error the cause was finally found and this key was introduced to change the lock from a File Lock to one in SQL.

In "theory" having the key in place before the Upgrade runs shouldn't be an issue, or having it on a non-azure environment, but it appears (based on various reports including this thread) that, because of various restarts, it does cause an issue.

The general advice is don't have the key in place during the upgrade but add it after the upgrade has been completed if you need it.

• Gabor Ferencz 36 posts 167 karma points
    Jun 17, 2022 @ 07:37
    Gabor Ferencz

Hi! I'm having a very similar issue. I'm not upgrading, but just sometimes my application gets into this lock situation and either fails to boot, getting the following error, that I cannot find the cause of:

[BootFailedException: Boot failed: Umbraco cannot run. See Umbraco&#39;s log file for more details.
    -&gt; Umbraco.Core.Exceptions.BootFailedException: Boot failed.
    -&gt; System.TimeoutException: Cannot acquire MainDom
       at Umbraco.Core.Runtime.MainDom.Acquire() in D:\a\1\s\src\Umbraco.Core\Runtime\MainDom.cs:line 172

Or sometimes it throws errors, when one of my replica servers are coming up:

enter image description here

I really need help fixing this, as I'm starting to think that Umbraco 8..18.4 is faulty.

There is one CMS server, and 2-4 front-end servers that are running in a kube instance in my case...

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft