Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Brian Bozarth 10 posts 59 karma points
    Apr 29, 2020 @ 13:23
    Brian Bozarth

Stackable blocks in Umbraco

What's the best way to do stackable content blocks in Umbraco 8? I want to have landing pages, where I can configure blocks in any order.

In Episerver, I can create block types then attach them to the ContentArea in the Page Type.

I was looking in Umbraco, and it seems like it should be Macros with Grid Layout. But when I set up the parameters for the Macro, the list is very limited. There's no Rich Text, List...

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Apr 29, 2020 @ 13:58
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Brian

Have a look at Nested Content, it should be exactly what you need.

Docs here - https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/getting-started/backoffice/property-editors/built-in-property-editors/Nested-Content/

Thanks,

Alex

• Brian Bozarth 10 posts 59 karma points
    May 05, 2020 @ 14:56
    Brian Bozarth

What's the best way to do a shared block that be used across many pages? Would I do Nested Content with a link to the shared block? Where would that shared block live in the Content tree?

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    May 05, 2020 @ 15:01
    Nik

If you need them shareable/reusable, you'd want to create your own component store in a folder and then use a content picker to pick the blocks to include.

If you go down the nested content route they are "create per page" type blocks. You might find you want a mix of both, so you could have a nested content block that contains a picker so you can combine both approaches.

Nik

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    May 05, 2020 @ 15:18
    Alex Skrypnyk

I would create a separate folder with separate nodes and user Umbraco Node Picker to select the needed shared node where it's required

Thanks,

Alex

• Marc Love (uSkinned.net) 431 posts 1669 karma points
    May 05, 2020 @ 15:18
    Marc Love (uSkinned.net)

Hi Brian,

Marc from uSkinned here. Our themes use the component approach that Nic mentioned. If you contact us via our contact form we can set you up with a demo to try it out.

Cheers,

Marc

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft