Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Emil Schoelzer Schnohr 23 posts 143 karma points
    Apr 30, 2020 @ 10:39
    Emil Schoelzer Schnohr

Lots of logs created in App_Data folder every day, application crashes

Hi people We have some problems with index errors on a website, and suspect it's related to the fact, that the application is restarting quite often for some reason - Like several times a day. Also, when looking in the log files, there are MANY of them generated daily, while on other of our websites, there is only one or a few every day. There have been generated as much as 300 log files on a single day and I have no idea why this happens. Most of the logs only have one or a few lines.

I suspect this many file creations in the App_Data folder might be the reason why the application restarts so often - And this might be the reason our examine indexes gets messed up so we can't access "Examine Management" in the backoffice (it throws an error), and sometimes the website temporarily crashes entirely, throwing a HTTP 503 error for a few minutes.

The indexes stops updating when content is saved and the only fix we know of to make the website work again for a while, is deleting the TEMP/ExamineIndexes folder and restart the website.

What could cause this crazy log file generating, and can it be manually regulated somehow? I'd rather not disable logging entirely.

• Nik 1599 posts 7179 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Apr 30, 2020 @ 12:37
    Nik

Hi Emil,

Do you have custom code that interacts with the indexing? If so, I suspect that it is throwing errors under specific conditions which is causing the behaviour you are seeing.

If you do, and you don't have any error handling in there, I would advise adding some in, including some explicit debugging logs to track when things are hit to try and identify why the errors are being thrown.

Also, if you have any custom code that is writing files to views/bin (and probably some other places) you might find that is triggering the website to restart but it's hard to guess without seeing the code :-)

Nik

• Emil Schoelzer Schnohr 23 posts 143 karma points
    Apr 30, 2020 @ 14:09
    Emil Schoelzer Schnohr

Hi Nik

Thanks for your reply. I don't have any custom code interfering with examine. It's a rather simple website - The only thing that stands out with this and our other Umbraco solutions, is that we have multiple websites on this single Umbraco installation with different domains. So we have multiple root nodes with different domains assigned, and I don't know if this could cause trouble with the indexing, though it should work fine. I have tried reinstalling Umbraco as well as upgrading (currently it's on v8.5.5) without luck.

Funny thing is we have another Umbraco 8 solution, also with multiple websites/domains, and this seems to have the exact same problems. It's also often generating lots of log files and sometimes Examine Management throws errors and the website crashes for a short while. I am considering to try and create a package with the doctypes, templates and so on, and then make a completely fresh install with the latest Umbraco version and new database, and see what happens.

I believe both solutions have been created in 8.0.x or 8.1.x and then with time upgraded, maybe this could have broken something? There really isn't other custom code than html, css and js.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft