Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Göran Westman 10 posts 90 karma points
    May 05, 2020 @ 13:23
    Göran Westman

Unable to edit templates

Hi, I'm new to Umbraco and I'm trying to help out an organization whose website has been orpaned by the company that built it in the first place, a company is no longer among us...

The problem is in the first place that I'm unable to get into the editor for the templates. Everything else seems to work, and the frontend work, but as soon as I try to open a template in Settings -> Template I get the following error.

Server Error in '/' Application.
    Parser Error
    Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'Umbraco.Web.UI.Umbraco.Settings.EditTemplate'.

Source Error:

Line 1:  <%@ Page MasterPageFile="../masterpages/umbracoPage.Master" Language="c#" CodeBehind="EditTemplate.aspx.cs"
    Line 2:      ValidateRequest="false" AutoEventWireup="True" Inherits="Umbraco.Web.UI.Umbraco.Settings.EditTemplate" %>
    Line 3:  

Source File: /umbraco/settings/editTemplate.aspx    Line: 1

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.7.3535.0

Umbraco version 7.13.1

Does anyone have a good solution/workaround? I don't have FTP or server access at the moment.

Best regards Göran Westman

• Alex Skrypnyk 6131 posts 23950 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    May 05, 2020 @ 14:04
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Göran

It looks like the site was upgraded but trees.config wasn't updated accordingly.

Can you go to /config/trees.config file and update needed key with this:

<add application="settings" alias="templates" title="Templates" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder-open"
        type="Umbraco.Web.Trees.TemplatesTreeController, umbraco" initialize="true" sortOrder="1"/>

Thanks,

Alex

May 05, 2020 @ 14:40
    Göran Westman

Thank you! I'll try to get remote or FTP access to the server tomorrow and examine the config file. All I've got for now is an admin login for the Umbraco backend, and I believe that I can't edit the config files from there.

I'll post an update as soon as I've accessed the file.

May 05, 2020 @ 16:04
    Alex Skrypnyk

You can edit config files from the backend if you install this package - https://our.umbraco.com/packages/developer-tools/config-tree/

May 05, 2020 @ 16:52
    Göran Westman

Thank you, the package worked, but I'm afraid that the line in question is already present in the file.. in the <!--Settings--> section... :(

<add application="settings" alias="templates" title="Templates" iconClosed="icon-folder" iconOpen="icon-folder-open" type="Umbraco.Web.Trees.TemplatesTreeController, umbraco" initialize="true" sortOrder="1" />

May 05, 2020 @ 16:58
    Göran Westman

enter image description here

May 05, 2020 @ 17:00
    Alex Skrypnyk

Ah sorry, probably my idea was wrong.

1) Let's check bin folder it should have "Umbraco.Web.UI.dll"

2) Check that templates under Views folder is allowed to be edited

May 05, 2020 @ 18:22
    Göran Westman

As seen above it lists all the templates, but the editor doesn't work.

Ok, I've requested credentials for the server, so hopefully I'll get access tomorrow. By just googling I couldn't find an backend file manager compatible with v7.

May 05, 2020 @ 20:05
    Göran Westman

Apparently I can create a new template file, and when I create the new file it shows the editor and everything seems alright... But if I try to reopen the file, then I get the same error as above...

May 06, 2020 @ 11:19
    Göran Westman

Now I have access... The file I created last night in the backend, Test2.master, is in /Views/ all the other template files are located in /masterpages/ ...is this normal or is there some kind of conflict somewhere?

May 06, 2020 @ 15:19
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Göran

It's some kind of conflict.

Umbraco doesn't support the editing of master pages from some version.

Can you check what rendering engine do you use in your site? If you go to /config/umbracoSettings.config and be check what is set in

May 06, 2020 @ 15:41
    Göran Westman

Use masterpages is set to True (naturally), and rendering engine to WebForms.

Now when I have FTP access I can make template changes off site. But it would be nice to have the ability to change things from the backend.

May 06, 2020 @ 15:45
    Alex Skrypnyk

It's not possible to edit WebForms master pages from the back office (( it's true

May 06, 2020 @ 15:54
    Göran Westman

Ok, thank you for your efforts... 😀 Then off site it is... 😀

Next step is to set up a local mirror site where I can do my tweeking, Fiddling with unknown code on a live site doesn't feel like a good idea... 😀

But as said, thank you Alex for your help.

May 06, 2020 @ 16:30
    Alex Skrypnyk

You are always welcome, Göran! Ask more questions :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft