Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Robert Graham 22 posts 90 karma points
    May 05, 2020 @ 14:08
    Robert Graham

Umbraco8 Simple AWS S3 - Moving existing media over to AWS

Hi,

I have recently been moving an existing site over to AWS Elastic Beanstalk.

As part of this I have set up a new S3 bucket and installed the Umbraco8 Simple AWS S3 package.

I can get all new media items to save and show in the back office but when I copied all the existing media items over to the bucket, Umbraco is still trying to retrieve these from the local relative path.

I have tried clearing the app-data/cache folder to no evail.

Also, I notice that the table called umbracoMediaVersion for the new images has the full path saved against an image (e.g. https://??????-media.s3.amazonaws.com/media/34lpiaa1/band.png) whereas existing images only have the relative path (e.g. /media/34lpiaa1/band2.png).

Would love if someone could help me work out how to make Umbraco look to the S3 bucket for existing images.

Thanks

Rob

• Marc Love (uSkinned.net) 432 posts 1671 karma points
    May 05, 2020 @ 15:32
    Marc Love (uSkinned.net)

Possibly update umbracoMediaVersion table to include full path for images that were added before you migrated to AWS?

May 05, 2020 @ 17:35
    Robert Graham

Already tried that approach.

Updated field and cleared the app data cache etc and still couldn’t get the image to load in the back office. The location must be held somewhere else for the image.

May 06, 2020 @ 16:03
    Robert Graham

In case anyone else is having issues.

I've created a fully implemented AWS S3 file provider for the media section in Umbraco.

I'll be working on making it production ready and then make it available via the package manager.

• MarvinZ 4 posts 24 karma points
    May 07, 2020 @ 20:57
    MarvinZ

Hi Robert

I did a similar implementation for umbraco 7.x, I wonder if your objects (media images) of the s3 bucket still need to be -read-public in order to be resized on Umbraco 8. Do you happen to know? Ive been considering migrating to Umbraco8 and this will hemp me decide.

thanks in advance!

May 21, 2020 @ 10:09
    Robert Graham

Hi,

Not entirely sure to be honest - when I set up the media library in S3, access was set as public.

As an update, we are moving away from AWS Beanstalk as we have found too many deployment issues with it from Visual Studio for example.

I would recommend Azure always. Pretty sure Azure is slightly cheaper as well.

Thanks

• Ricky 7 posts 76 karma points
    May 21, 2020 @ 11:49
    Ricky

I would recommend azure also - there's better Umbraco / Image Processor documentation on how to setup media in Blob and also use a CDN to deliver the media. i think all in all the blob and CDN cost less than a pound a month and the app service is relativity inexpensive.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft