Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ault Nathanielsz 87 posts 407 karma points c-trib
    May 19, 2020 @ 13:30
    Ault Nathanielsz

RTE - adding attributes to elements

What is the correct syntax for adding an attribute to an element in the CSS for the RTE?

I have read: https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/getting-started/backoffice/property-editors/built-in-property-editors/Rich-Text-Editor/RTE-Styles/ but it provides no direction.

This works:

If I use h4.blue in the css, the RTE dutifully adds <h4 class="blue"> as expected.

This DOES NOT work

However, h4[lang="zh-Hans"] causes the format menu to simply not appear.

NB: h4[lang='zh-Hans'] and h4[lang=zh-Hans] also do not work.

• Janae Cram 63 posts 439 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    May 19, 2020 @ 18:39
    Janae Cram

Hi! The only way I've found to do this is by implementing Templates instead of using the Formats dropdown.

I've used this blog post to set up my own implementation of them before: https://www.wiliam.com.au/wiliam-blog/adding-enhanced-styling-to-the-umbraco-tinymce-editor. Hopefully that can help you do what you want? :)

May 20, 2020 @ 09:36
    Ault Nathanielsz

That is an interesting approach, not exactly what I want. One can also add the format list to a custom config key (which I have working at the moment). The only problem with this is that one is stuck with a single list in ALL RTE instances - removing the ability to customise for different property editors.

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    May 20, 2020 @ 18:20
    Nik

Hi Ault,

Unfortunately, that is not possible on a per-instance basis like you want. The Umbraco interpretation of a CSS document only processes a ver limited set of behaviours. You'd have to examine the core and how it processes the meta information about a style and see if you can extend it to add additional handling.

If you did, I'm certain it would be appreciated as a pr.

As a workaround, you could add classes and then pass the processed IHtmlString through your own parser to remove the class and add the represented attribute. Eg give your class the name attrib-lang:zh-Hans to indicate language attribute and value

May 22, 2020 @ 20:00
    Ault Nathanielsz

I wouldn't mind trying to extend the core to handle a stylesheet correctly. I have a good idea of what it is being transformed into (init config for the tinymce instance), but not where that transformation is taking place.

I'll look into making that pr (how hard can it be?)

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    May 24, 2020 @ 10:57
    Nik

I think it would be quite a bit of work. There is kinda the issue of the wide level of flexibility that TinyMCE has with regards to that configuration, but I'm sure it would be a cool PR.

Even a PR to allow for an element and a class, e.g. h1.big would be a starting point.

Nik

May 25, 2020 @ 07:23
    Ault Nathanielsz

Actually, h1.big works exactly as one would expect. There are 2 issues with the process (that I have found):

1. it does not differentiate between elements - everything is treated as a block
    2. it does not allow attributes to be added, only classes.
  • Janae Cram 63 posts 439 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    May 26, 2020 @ 15:05
    Janae Cram

My understanding is that a class name applied directly to an element (like h1.big) works, but only if it's a block level element. If you try to do a.big it won't work.

That's correct, yes? I was recently poking at this myself.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft