Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rich 2 posts 93 karma points
    May 19, 2020 @ 18:38
    Rich

Disable install redirect

I have Umbraco (v7.12.40) running exactly as I want without issues.

When I setup the site, I changed the Umbraco path (web.config umbracoPath appSetting) to a different folder name and renamed the umbraco folder. This was to try and prevent anyone just typing in www.website.com/umbraco and getting to the CMS ie to not broadcast we were using umbraco.

However, as part of my error logging I recently noticed some "sniffs" that contained our "hidden" folder, which got me looking into them a bit more.

When I used a website sniffer myself, I discovered that there is some sort of redirect from www.website.com/install directly to the umbraco login page. As /install is a relatively common sniffing folder this kind of negates the point of changing the Umbraco path name to hide it.

Just to clarify, there is no install folder in the root of the website and no manual redirect setup for it, so can only presume it's some sort of umbraco internal redirect.

I can't seem to find where this redirect is set or any way of disabling it. I tried removing the reserved urls and paths that contained /install in web.config, but that didn't make any difference.

Is it possible to disable this redirect action somehow?

• Rich 2 posts 93 karma points
    Sep 28, 2020 @ 13:33
    Rich

For anyone interested, I think I managed to resolve this issue by including a rewrite rule in web.config:

<system.webserver>
        <rewrite>
          <rules>
            <!-- Restrict access to Install -->
            <rule name="Restrict access to install" stopProcessing="true">
              <match url="install" />
              <action type="Redirect" url="/" appendQueryString="false" />
            </rule>
          </rules>
        </rewrite>
    </system.webserver>

This should redirect any request to a file or directory containing the word install to the home page. Obviously if you wanted to add a page to your website that included the word install, you would have to amend the match url to accommodate this.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft