Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David Armitage 505 posts 2073 karma points
    Jun 07, 2020 @ 13:37
    David Armitage

Umbraco 8 | Examine Member Searching | Examples

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know where any documentation around searching members with Examine for Umbraco 8 is do you?

I have looked everywhere and cant find any examples.

I am have a fair bit of experience with searching content but never with members. I managed to hack around and set some sort of searching working on members but couldn't see any custom fields within the search.

I am going to attempt to create a component tomorrow and insert some search properties into the index set in a similar way to like we can do with the content.

I am hoping it's possible but it's just guess work at this stage.

If anyone has any examples or can point me in the right direction of some documentation it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.

David

• Ravi Motha 290 posts 500 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Jun 07, 2020 @ 18:37
    Ravi Motha

Can I ask what you what you want to do because you don’t necessarily need to use the examine search if you don’t have to

You can use the memberservice to get by display name and then filter that

https://our.umbraco.com/apidocs/v8/csharp/api/Umbraco.Core.Services.IMemberService.html

• David Armitage 505 posts 2073 karma points
    Jun 08, 2020 @ 00:35
    David Armitage

Hi Ravi,

Yeah I have already implemented a solution using the member service. I don't think it is going to cut it though.

I am building a member marketing package for public release which potentially could be used against a lot of members.

The user will have a load of options / filters then can add that relate back to member custom fields. We use these filters to search the members to see who is suitable for a marketing campaign. It all happens in the background a a scheduled task so nothing to do with the grid etc.

As I said I did build a dynamic query using the the member service just applying filters over the top of the GetAll method. It works fine for my solution since there isn't going to be too many members. I worry that if there is 1000ds of members and the user has created a number of marketing campaigns then the processors are going to become too demanding.

I think this can be easily avoided by using Examine searching instead. That way I would only be getting the data I need rather than playing with larger datasets.

Kind Regards

David

Jun 08, 2020 @ 15:10
    Ravi Motha

https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Reference/Searching/Examine/indexing/

there is a bunch more about setting a member index

• Dave Pearcey 46 posts 178 karma points
    Jun 10, 2020 @ 11:58
    Dave Pearcey

Yeah, this is the exact issue I have right now. Looking to change it to a search, because on 2,000+ members, the page is taking an additional 5-10 seconds to load purely because of using the memberService now.

Jun 08, 2020 @ 13:19
    Ravi Motha

https://our.umbraco.com/forum/umbraco-8/95915-umbraco-8-examine-indexes?fbclid=IwAR1HObPjim-o8z3vN0tbpSyCaeG0KzeEJkQlPx2u23nGNXazxWkx_q7T8#comment-303736

CHek out the Icopose stuff for setting up the index, and then use the gist referenced by Arnold Visser as a template on how to do it properly.

If you have time you could also update the docs and get yourself a contrib badge

Ravi ps I am essentially duplicating my answer for the sake of future searches until we get docs up to speed

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft