Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Gerhard Grossberger 54 posts 178 karma points
    Jun 10, 2020 @ 08:59
    Gerhard Grossberger

Hello, we´re having a v7 site with 4 languages, and now the customer wants to add more languages to the site. We are now thinking about moving to v8 and use the new language variants.

While the migration in itself won´t be easy, we are even more concerned about the work that needs to be put in in the content area.

Did anyone ever try to merge language versions in v8 programmatically?

Feedback from HQ was negative so far,

Best, Gerhard

• Kevin Jump 2309 posts 14673 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Jun 10, 2020 @ 09:17
    Kevin Jump

Hi Gerhard,

Yeah that won't be easy, and any approach is likely to involve code.

It depends a bit on how you have your v7 site setup, and what you want your v8 site to look like.

if you have a multi-site v7 site and you want to merge it down to a v8 site using variants, that is likely going to involve some custom code, as you will need to merge the values in to the correct culture values in new content items.

Similarly if you are using Vorto on v7 and want to go to v8 again it will probably need you to have some custom code to take the values from the v7 vorto elements and put them where you want them in v8.

Personally (because when you have a hammer, everything is a nail) I would look at using the output files from uSync to help with this.

Assuming you have either a) setup a new site in v8 with all the new doctypes/datatypes you want

• I would use uSync.ContentEdition to export all your content from v7.
    • I would then create a test content item in v8. and export that using uSync.ContentEdition for v8.

This will give you a set of XML files for your current content, and a sample xml file from v8 of what target content might look like.

Then you might be able to write code to convert the xml from the v7 extract into the format required for the v8 import. Its not easy, but i am not sure their is an easy way :(

the other option is to migrate the site to v8 - which should put all your data into v8 - then again you could export it to see what the xml looks like, manipulate the xml and put it back in.

It not that you need to use uSync - you could do a lot of this directly with the ContentService. using uSync will shortcut some of the property value manipulation for you.

Good luck!

• Gerhard Grossberger 54 posts 178 karma points
    Jun 10, 2020 @ 11:04
    Gerhard Grossberger

Hello Kevin,

we got the site set up with multiple language trees below one site.

Going about this with uSync sounds like a possible solution that involves less coding and some possible checking mechanisms. I will surely think about this and maybe run some tests here.

#h5yr,

Gerhard

• Sebastian Budka 12 posts 93 karma points
    Jun 30, 2020 @ 07:47
    Sebastian Budka

Did you have any luck with uSync? We also have a multisite with different languages and moving them manually is not an option. I started some coding to move translations, but it seems to be pretty hard. Can you share any tips on working with uSync?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft