Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Richard Hamilton 36 posts 158 karma points
    Jun 11, 2020 @ 09:07
    Richard Hamilton

Saving hidden data in Node

I am creating a shopping cart and want to save a node with the order

Some details will be visible, name, etc

But I also want to save some things that Umbraco users should not be able to see and if they try to edit it will break the order.

Ie. I have the full order with line items, prices as a Json string. I want to save that to a field that is hidden from the user but I can use it again to regenerate the order in a user readable format.

Any suggestions? At the moment I am using a label but it shows as [Object][Object]

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4453 karma points c-trib
    Jun 11, 2020 @ 10:44
    Steve Morgan

My first thoughts are are you really sure these orders should be in the content tree.

Each update will cause a publish event, the history of orders and therefore the db will grow quickly.

It sounds to me like you should have a custom section and a custom set of tables (order, order lines).

If you're happy still going down the content route then a custom property editor is probably the way to go. You can store your json string, even do something clever checking for a user group perhaps to display.

HTH

Steve

• Richard Hamilton 36 posts 158 karma points
    Jun 11, 2020 @ 11:29
    Richard Hamilton

Thanks Steve I am using the Node tree at the moment as I need to get this out the door quickly.

I'm sure Tea-commerce used to do this?

Its also a fairly small concern. not turning over thousands of orders per day / week. But could refactor this later to make it more scalable.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft