Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David Shearer 20 posts 98 karma points
    Jun 24, 2020 @ 12:32
    David Shearer

Moving Umbraco Uno site to a different hosting platform

Hi, I'm new to Umbraco and Uno looks very attractive as a development platform

When I have completed a site in Uno can I then move it to an equivalent cloud hosting platform - I have a dedicated server with eUKhost which would be a more cost effective long term hosting prospect.

Server currently hosts 2 Umbraco sites and has been utterly reliable

Effectively I am asking - Can I use Umbraco Uno as a pure development platform - export the site I build and then continue to manage content on the new hosting platform....?

It's a tough one at present as ideally I keep the 2 sites separate

Really appreciate some help here

David

• John Palmer 76 posts 201 karma points
    Jun 25, 2020 @ 06:56
    John Palmer

Hi David,

I never use Umbraco Uno. You may need to ask them about your requirement first. Other option for you is you can check out Hostforlife.eu plan, they support Umbraco and their cloud server plan seems affordable.

Jun 25, 2020 @ 09:14
    David Shearer

Hi John,

Many thanks - I did ask a couple of days ago - I'm doing a trial of cloud and Uno - Not heard anything yet.....

So I'll ask again

I can hack the Cloud Trial site and push it around to do most of the things I want..... but the prebuilt widgits in Uno are just so effortless and well made

Problem comes when I look ahead for the business and see multiple sites pushing hosting costs up to close to £100 a month ..... its really frustrating perfect tool just has the potential to get stupidly espensive

Best

David

• Comment author was deleted

Jun 25, 2020 @ 08:50

DOn't think that is possible, try https://iglootheme.com/ instead

• Comment author was deleted

Jun 25, 2020 @ 09:20

Same building blocks, but 1 time fee and you can host it where you want...

Jun 25, 2020 @ 09:27
    David Shearer

Tim,

I think this is the answer - many thanks!

I was looking at uskinned themes but I don't think they have the same flexibility

Best

David

• Paul Daly (uSkinned.net) 40 posts 393 karma points c-trib
    Jun 25, 2020 @ 09:35
    Paul Daly (uSkinned.net)

Hi David - Paul from uSkinned here. :-)

If you reach out to us here https://uskinned.net/contact/ we can set you up with a free trial of one of our themes - you can choose which one. I'm sure once you've been able to try one out you'll see how much flexibility they offer.

This short video will give you an overview of what's available with our themes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0o7XZ8pEgU

On a side note, our themes are two times nominated for Best Content Editing Experience at the annual Umbraco Awards (2019 + 2020).

Thanks

Paul

Jun 25, 2020 @ 10:33
    David Shearer

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for this

I'm trying to get a template that will enable me to replicate the look and feel of this site Attached achievers coaching link.- this started out as an Umbraco 4 starter site and runs well although now live site is messy and needs responsive designAchievers Coaching

I'd be grateful if you took a quick look at this and let me know which of your themes is closest on look and feel,

There is loads wrong with the active site and this is what we are looking to resolve

Can your themes be migrated away from your platform - the problem with UNO is that you are stuck with it forever - or so it seems and £30 a month hosting for one site is a fairly expensive route to take

we have 2 sites www.achieverscoaching,co,uk and www.myhypnotherapyworks.co.uk which are effectively clones of each other

Best regares

David

Many thanks

David

• Marc Love (uSkinned.net) 430 posts 1668 karma points
    Jun 25, 2020 @ 12:33
    Marc Love (uSkinned.net)

Hi David,

I have sent you a demo link to try out our themes. Any of our themes would be suitable for your websites. Colour schemes can be changed directly from the Umbraco CMS with no need to touch the underlying code or stylesheets.

We hope you enjoy playing around with the demo we have sent you and it would be great to see your thoughts and feedback in this post so that the community can hear how you got on.

Cheers,

Marc

Jun 25, 2020 @ 12:47
    David Shearer

Many thanks Marc

I'm going to get an Uno site up anyway - to get my thoughts in order and to have something that works right out of the box

That's a training exercise for me and I can build it on the remote environment pretty quickly to get something going while I look at more cost effective alternatives

Do your Themes come with the same widget set as Uno? I will need Grid, Slider, Accordion and I'm looking for something to enable me to index testimonials of which we have hundreds on multiple issues to particular problem and issues pages ..... like tagging blog posts so maybe I can play with that existing solution - ideally at nested levels to put the content the user wants slap before their eyes!

If you have any thoughts on this and how your themes can help me there please let me know

Best

David

I'll pick up the trial Best

David

Jun 25, 2020 @ 13:01
    Marc Love (uSkinned.net)

Hi David,

We have all of these features and a lot more ...

For a full feature list, see here:

https://uskinned.net/tour/feature-index/

Cheers,

Marc

Jun 25, 2020 @ 13:13
    David Shearer

Many thanks Marc

How would you approach this problem in Uskinned?

I need to abstract testimonials on X rather than testimonials on Y, Z, A, B, C etc - each in text or screenshot .png and currently stored in date received order.

I then need to provide quick access and visibility of these from the relevant web page

I'm thinking this is a bit like tagging blog posts but how many levels of indexing/ tagging can you apply to these?

Solve that and you have the business!!!

Best

David

Jun 25, 2020 @ 15:22
    Marc Love (uSkinned.net)

Hi David,

Our themes include blogging functionality as standard. You can have multiple blogs within a single site setup so you could call this 'Testimonials' and use the categorisation functionality we include to tag your testimonials. The levels of indexing and tagging are completely up to your self. This is not restricted.

Also the underlying code can be modified if you wish to expand on how our out-of-the-box theme functionality currently works.

Cheers,

Marc

Jul 03, 2020 @ 00:30
    David Shearer

Answer It is not possible to migrate UNO Sites to different hosting

Good solutions are pre made themes from Uskinned or a full UNO component toolkit like Igloo

UNO is great for learning how to do stuff it comes down to what is right and what cost scales right for your requirement

UNO is rock solid and idiot proof (me proof) pre made themes offer great additional functionality to low skill (client developers) and a brilliant training playground!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft