Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Owain Jones 55 posts 384 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Jul 08, 2020 @ 11:12
    Owain Jones

TinyMCE can you add more special characters?

Hello,

Does anyone know if there is there a way to add more special characters to the TinyMCE special character menu?

As it's missing some special characters that my language (Welsh) uses. (ŵ and ŷ)

Cheers!

• Aaron 57 posts 405 karma points MVP c-trib
    Jul 08, 2020 @ 13:04
    Aaron

In the config folder you have a file called tinyMceConfig.config

You may be able to do something in there

Jul 08, 2020 @ 16:08
    Owain Jones

Thanks for your reply! I found the documentation for that config file, but it doesn't say anything about adding special characters...

I also found the js file for the special character menu (which is a TinyMCE plugin called Charmap) "/Umbraco/lib/tinymce/plugins/charmap/plugin.min.js"

I edited it (as a test) and it worked great, but I'm a bit worried that that file would be overwritten during a Umbraco update?

• Aaron 57 posts 405 karma points MVP c-trib
    Jul 08, 2020 @ 16:24
    Aaron

I'm not sure...

I know during the update there is a modified files check, and it does prompt whether to overwrite or not, but whether this file would be affected I couldn't say.

Jul 09, 2020 @ 11:52
    Owain Jones

I've found the solution! If you add this to the customConfigs section of the tinyMceConfig.config that you mentioned:

<config key="charmap_append"><![CDATA[[[375, "y - circumflex"],[374, "Y - circumflex"]]]]></config>

screenshot of the config file

'375' is the HTML Entity number for ŷ, as shown here: https://www.compart.com/en/unicode/U+0177, as according to the Charmap plugin documentation it uses those character codes to identify symbols https://www.tiny.cloud/docs/plugins/charmap/.

It will then add them to the symbols menu! Screenshot of the symbols menu with the new symbols added

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft