Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• steschu 88 posts 489 karma points
    Jul 15, 2020 @ 10:35
    steschu

How to set Examine "Separator Characters"?

Hi,

I search the umbracoFile property with examine. E.g. my file is media/2747/MyDocument-Hello.pdf

When I search for Hello* the Item is found. When I search for MyDocument* the item is not found. When I search for media/2747/MyDocument* the item is found.

This must be because the indexer sees the "-" as separator character, but not the "/".

Does anybody know how I can configure this?

Kind regards, Stephan

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jul 15, 2020 @ 12:31
    Ismail Mayat

By default for external index while indexing its run through standard analyser that will tokenise and will i think replace the - with space then tokenise on space so you end up with:

enter image description here

What is the context for your search? Is it find documents based on document name? If so then search on the name field rather than umbracoFile field.

Regards

Ismail

• steschu 88 posts 489 karma points
    Jul 23, 2020 @ 14:15
    steschu

Hi Ismail,

You're right, searching the name property is simpler but I had concerns that the value differs from the filename.

I recently changed the umbraco core in order not to modify the name property after upload (see here: https://our.umbraco.com/forum/using-umbraco-and-getting-started/101202-keep-original-filename-in-filesystem-for-uploaded-file#comment-317819).

But there is also the stoppwords and tokenization that will prevent finding files when users enter the exact file name incl. dot plus extension.

I will keep on testing. Maybe examine isn't just the right tool to search for filenames.

Kind regards, Stephan

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jul 23, 2020 @ 15:01
    Ismail Mayat

You could during indexing get the file name and inject it in with non alpha numerics stripped out say by regex. Then you search on that field but ensure that the search term also has non alpha numeric stripped as well.

Modifying core is not a good idea because when you upgrade your changes will be lost.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft