Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ken Schnell 35 posts 147 karma points
    Jul 16, 2020 @ 01:04
    Ken Schnell

Moving Umbraco V8 to new server fails 'You see this screen because your Umbraco installation did not complete correctly'

In version 8.6.3 I have moved the entire WebSite folder [MySite] to the webroot folder in iis assigned it as virtual directory..

I assigned all folders AppPool Modify / Full control. All folders. and I also assigned IUSR read privileges.

I have moved the entire SQL Server DB, Detach from old server, Copy the files to new server and Attach - I did rename them , ran a script to do this and attach.

I changed the DB name - connection string in the web.config - I have temporarily assigned the sa user to the web site and when browsing the site - the site comes up with "You see this screen because your Umbraco installation did not complete correctly" . I know this is not correct it is working fine on my development box. When I click on the continue button I get "Could not check the upgrade state".

If I query the database table umbracoServer it shows my development machine as the only record .

What do I need to do in order to get this running ? I am not understanding what the issue is .

EDIT: The Log file says: new url detected Umbraco must install or upgrade.

• David Armitage 505 posts 2073 karma points
    Aug 04, 2020 @ 12:39
    David Armitage

Hi,

I have seen these sorts of issues when not restoring the database correctly or sometimes restoring the wrong database.

I would probably go back and make sure you have takes a backup of the correct database from your dev machine and make sure this is then restored on your live server.

I am pretty sure this will be the cause. I have done this myself a number of times.

Regards

David

• Ken Schnell 35 posts 147 karma points
    Aug 04, 2020 @ 16:11
    Ken Schnell

I found my answer. Even though it had rights to the database and made a successful connection and could modify the table (creating a new application) for whatever reason it did not have permission to read the existing stuff, I changed the permissions on the server (by creating a new sql server user and login with the same rights) and this allowed it to function.

I still do not understand it - I detached form the old server then I copied the database file(s) .mdf and .ldf onto the new server and attached.

The Site connected to the new server just fine - authenticated and the first time I had it - it created a new site because I told it to continue .. so I know it had rights to create etc.. but for what ever reason the users assigned to the were unable to read the database.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft