Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kris 14 posts 96 karma points
    Jul 21, 2020 @ 21:02
    Kris

Sync Cloud DB to local for faster local dev

I am curious how other developers are handling this. You have your Umbraco 8 setup in visual studio and the database is in SQL azure for example. It takes a long time for the page to refresh between changes (css, html etc).. I was thinking maybe people are developing on a local copy of the database that is pulled from the cloud (production) db? I know when I am writing CSS it seems we could speed the page refreshed and project launch if using a local db.. How are you guys handling this? Comments? Suggestions?

• Paul Seal 524 posts 2889 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jul 21, 2020 @ 22:36
    Paul Seal

Hi Kris

For personal projects, I use SQL Express on my local machine, but for work projects we use SQL Azure.

The speed can be affected by which data centre the database is in. But assuming it is in the closest one to you, the other thing to check the power of the elastic pool it is in.

I know I was frustrated with my database being slow on one project and when I increased the power (DTUs) of the elastic pool it performed a lot better. I'm not an expert in the Azure terminology, but I know what I mean and hopefully you do too.

If you want to work locally with it, you create a bacpac and import it locally to SQL Express. You could then use uSync to export the settings, switch the connection string to the azure db and import the settings.

I hope this helps

Cheers

Paul

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft