Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nigel Wilson 944 posts 2076 karma points
    Jul 29, 2020 @ 19:09
    Nigel Wilson

Content Structure in V8 and Packages Available

Hi there

When developing sites I have utilised varying methods for structuring the content in the admin area, with each solution having it's pluses and minuses.

Solution A - Strips

Below each node, e.g. Home Page, I would add a folder called "Strips" and then I would create child nodes for each strip of content to be displayed on the home page. + Worked great as you retained the full width page view for editing the content, - Site tree on larger sites became unwieldy to manage.

Solution B - Content List Package - https://our.umbraco.com/packages/backoffice-extensions/content-list/

This package enabled strips of content to be listed on a single node. + Clean site tree + Full control over rendered code - No full width view when editing, but still very usable

Solution C - Grid + Doc Type Grid Editor - https://our.umbraco.com/packages/backoffice-extensions/doc-type-grid-editor/

Extending the default Grid functionality with the Doc Type Grid Editor package. + Clean site tree - Width view when editing content is quite narrow - Embedding content in the grid results in additional html being rendered (caveat - I have not looked at changing the grid rendering "engine" to work around this)

So I was wondering if/what other solutions people have employed in V8 for "strip" based content where the default grid functionality doesn't provide sufficient options.

Currently Solution C is probably what I will stick with however was keen to explore other ideas. I haven't found anything in the packages listing similar to Content List for V8.

Thanks

Nigel

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Jul 29, 2020 @ 19:19
    Amir Khan

Why not use nested content? For us its often not the solution for subpages but works great for homepage / landing pages where the blocks can be clearly defined. You can also have nested nested content allowing for a container with a list within it which is nice.

• Nigel Wilson 944 posts 2076 karma points
    Jul 29, 2020 @ 19:38
    Nigel Wilson

Hi Amir

Thanks for your very quick feedback.

I have always considered Nested Content great for smaller bits of content, however for my partners site there are sometimes 10+ fields (of varying sizes).

Maybe it is time to explore Nested Content a bit more and see how it functions with larger "features"

Cheers again

Nigel

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Jul 29, 2020 @ 19:41
    Amir Khan

Its definitely a compromise. And per your comment on the grid, I love nested content for simple scrolly sites because you aren't fighting with the grid markup, which I also have never tried to adjust.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft