Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nathan Reece 62 posts 376 karma points
    Jul 30, 2020 @ 05:31
    Nathan Reece

Umbraco 8 Nested Content Editor

Right so im not sure how to get the nested content editor working on my site.

I have added a doctype of Content item and now im trying to add the Nested Content Property to my Home page. But when I go to set up my Nested Content Editor there are no element tags groups or templates to choose from?

Can any one help is there something i am missing?

• David Armitage 508 posts 2076 karma points
    Jul 30, 2020 @ 05:42
    David Armitage

Hi Nathan,

So this is pretty easy.

So a nested content datatype allows you to relate other content items to the document type you are working with. I use this a lot in every project.

So for example of your homepage banner is a carousel you could add each carousel item as nested content.

To achieve this you would first...

1. Create a doc type for your carousel item. This might contain properties like Heading, Main Text, Banner Image

2. Make sure this document type is marked as a 'Is an Element type'. This can be done in the document type permissions. This allows this document type to be been by the nested content data type

3. Now add a nested content datatype to your homepage. Call it something like Carousel Items

4. Configure the nested content section selecting the new carousel item doc type your created.

5. Now you can go back to the content section, go to the homepage, and start adding carousel items to the homepage.

6. You then can render these is razor like any other datatype value.

enter image description here

Hope this helps.

If not there is more information that can be found here. https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/getting-started/backoffice/property-editors/built-in-property-editors/Nested-Content/

Regards

David

Jul 30, 2020 @ 05:50
    Nathan Reece

Thanks Dave, I'm all sorted now :)

I knew id missed something somewhere

Jul 30, 2020 @ 07:10
    Nathan Reece

For anyone having any issues with nested content i have wrote a step by step blog on how to get nested content working and displayed on your web page

Here is the link: https://www.umbrajobs.com/blog/posts/2020/july/working-with-nested-content-in-umbraco-8/

Hope this helps people out.

• Mahesh 20 posts 90 karma points
    Sep 15, 2020 @ 10:23
    Mahesh

Hi Nathan Reece,

I have created the document type by using umbraco.nestedcontent.

at the time of creation of associate elements i can able to add and edit the items.

but after some time if we need to update the content in associate elements it is not showing the editor window why? How it will possible to have the editor after saving the content.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft