Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bobi 346 posts 950 karma points
    Aug 06, 2020 @ 18:09
    Bobi

Hi, does anyone know if using the same Umbraco Skin/Theme with substantially different content but for similar type service providers located at the same business address negatively impacts SEO? For example, two service providers in the same line of work (dentist and orthodontist) located at the same business address will use the same Umbraco Skin/Them as their respective website starting points, but will have different content.

The concern is the layout of the html code will be the same and the assets will be the same (obviously photos and other items will be different).

Does anyone know if this will negatively impact their SEO, which is quite important for their businesses?

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Aug 06, 2020 @ 19:31
    Amir Khan

The visual markup / style of the site shouldn't impact SEO at all if the content is different, just make sure you submit them separately to search console, google my business, etc. Duplicate content across domains can impact SEO if its scammy though.

Aug 06, 2020 @ 21:46
    Bobi

I see. So there should be no impact so long as content is different.

Aug 06, 2020 @ 21:56
    Amir Khan

Yep, here's an article related to what you're referring to, you won't have duplicate content so should be fine: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/66359?hl=en

This stems from people doing things like batterystore1.com, batterystore2.com to try to get a bunch of links to the same owned / operated sites up there in rankings and putting the same content on each.

We have a large healthcare company that has hospice, memory care, skilled nursing, etc. Their sites, including one for each of their 500+ locations, all look the same, but the content is different, there are testimonials related to each location, etc. They're rankings are solid.

Aug 06, 2020 @ 22:03
    Amir Khan

Another example, think about how many sites are built with squarespace templates. Other option would be to have to sites under the same domain so they could share in some SEO. Just throwing that out there.

Aug 06, 2020 @ 22:48
    Bobi

Thanks! But what about the fact that the two service providers will be working out of the same physical address? I guess that mixed with similar website assets is concerning me.

Aug 06, 2020 @ 23:50
    Amir Khan

That can get weird on the Google My Business side, I actually have the same address as a design firm, we have separate business listings, but different legal entities and different phone numbers. If that's the case you should be fine, again, not an Organic SEO thing, but a business listing thing. We don't even have suite numbers but I did run into one issue with a client where that was a hangup, but they tried themselves to set the listings up in a bunch of odd ways and I think created a barrier for themselves. Also they were called Company Name 1 and Company Name 2, they were spin-offs.

Aug 07, 2020 @ 15:43
    Bobi

Ok, thank you. Does the design firm use the same CMS template as you? Again, based on your answer, that should not matter with different content. The only overlapping content would be on the contact page indicating the same address.

Aug 08, 2020 @ 16:33
    Amir Khan

We've had the same template in the past, but not currently. They're going through a re-brand.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft