Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mark 122 posts 255 karma points
    Aug 13, 2020 @ 07:32
    Mark

Content Cache not always updated on Azure App Service

Hey guys,

Have an odd one with a couple of sites hosted on Azure App Services, both on latest Umbraco 8.6.3 version.

In short, for some properties, when a node is saved & published, the content cache appears to not get updated, and the change cannot be seen on the front end of the site.

These properties vary in type, 1 is a Multi Url Picker, another is an RTE, another is nested content...

This seems to affect only certain nodes. If I update properties on nodes picked by those affected, those updates come through.

There's no custom caching strategy on the affected nodes, so it's not that.

I have added the config outlined in the Umbraco docs (https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/getting-started/setup/server-setup/azure-web-apps) but this has not helped.

To note, the only way I can get the content changes to show are by restarting the App Service itself.

Even using Diplo God Mode to restart the app pool doesn't help, nor clearing all of the caches. Only a hard restart seems to do the trick.

Obviously this is not a good solution to restart the site every time a change is made on given content nodes!

If anyone has had the same/a similar issue specifically with Umbraco 8, I'd love to hear if/how you have solved it!

Many thanks,

Mark

• lucuma 261 posts 563 karma points
    Nov 04, 2020 @ 22:05
    lucuma

I am seeing the same issue on 8.6.2. I have a process that is sycning data every 30 minutes, I can confirm that in umbraco the data was synced and it shows published on the node but the site's cache is not updated. This is very disconcerting that the api isn't working correctly.

As a work around I'm setting up an umbraco api controller to publish the branch which I hope fixes the issue but this is really hard to deal with.

var content = Services.ContentService.GetById(1077);
            Services.ContentService.SaveAndPublishBranch(content, force: false);
            return true;

Have you received any support or feedback on this?

• Marshall Penn 78 posts 258 karma points
    Jan 15, 2021 @ 09:59
    Marshall Penn

We have a related problem. The problem site (umbraco 8.8.0) is hosted in Azure, with one copy serving the public domain and the other copy serving the editor, with Front Door managing the traffic (usually 100% to Public). The problem only seems to happen with non-UI based publishing thats implemented via a service or scheduled task. Items published in this way do not appear on the public domain, and a reset is required to update the cache.

• Chris Speakman 17 posts 151 karma points
    Mar 01, 2021 @ 16:39
    Chris Speakman

I'd like to give this thread a bump.

I have a similar issue, also on 8.6.3 in a dual node setup (both sites on Azure, both pointing at the same DB).

On the node where the user logs in to the backoffice to make the change (let's call it node 1) the published changes are shown in the backoffice and on the site but on node 2 the change shows in the backoffice but not on the site itself.

Forcing a content cache refresh makes no difference, only restarting the Azure app service fixes it.

In the absence of any other info, I'm hoping that moving up to a newer Umbraco version might sort it because my client is REALLY not keen on the site going down for app restarts!

• Chad 65 posts 129 karma points c-trib
    May 05, 2021 @ 02:13
    Chad

Solidarity - we have the exact same issue. We have not been able to find a solution.

• Mark 122 posts 255 karma points
    May 05, 2021 @ 14:37
    Mark

Unfortunately, the site where we initially had this issue is no more and a resolution was not found when it was live.

I have since then found the issue on a couple of other newer Umbraco 8 sites. These are heavily using custom property editors with custom property value converters, so I thought there was perhaps an issue with those. After much investigation, I found out about an issue with the cache level in property value converters being ignored. The result of this is that NuCache is not updated with the correct value for a property if a child/linked item is updated.

The issue is here, and could really do with some more people commenting/upvoting it: https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/issues/8347

I am not sure if this is affecting the stock property value converters as well, but I suspect as the symptoms are the same, it is the case. The issue does contain a solution, but it's quite heavy-handed and may not be suitable for very high usage/volume sites due to the increased load it would incur.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft