Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tara Pattenden 44 posts 205 karma points
    Sep 07, 2020 @ 01:10
    Tara Pattenden

Creating new doc type and template returns 404 error on preview - every time (editing existing site)

Hi Everyone I am at my absolute wits end, I'm working on a site that is due today. It is an existing umbraco install and I can not get a hold of the developer

It seems to be a unique install as I am having lots of issues

The one I'm trying to solve right now is everytime i create a new doc type with a template, the template returns a 404 error if any pages are inherited at the top (as in what comes in a default blank template) eg

@inherits Umbraco.Web.Mvc.UmbracoViewPage<Program>

I honestly don't know what to do, Program is the doc type I have just created. but if i keep the @inherit there it doesn't work

Please can someone help me. I'm so stuck and it's due today. I've watched 4 days of umbraco tv and searched and searched but I just can't solve this.

• Graham Davis 110 posts 376 karma points
    Sep 07, 2020 @ 01:32
    Graham Davis

Tara,

i think the line should be @inherits Umbraco.Web.Mvc.UmbracoViewPage<dynamic>

Graham

Sep 07, 2020 @ 01:33
    Tara Pattenden

Thanks Graham. I have also tried that syntax and it didn't work either...

But I have solved this!!!! It's because I didn't know I had to build the

I was able to get a hold of the developer and I think all my issues are happening as I wasn't building the project in VS code with ctrl shift B

I had no idea that I was required to do that. I didn't see it mentioned in the docs!!!

• Graham Davis 110 posts 376 karma points
    Sep 07, 2020 @ 01:37
    Graham Davis

If you are using Visual Studio, that is a better way for debugging code, but you do have to run the project to build a see the results. Others use umbraco's Back-Office.

Sep 07, 2020 @ 02:35
    Tara Pattenden

I am using visual studio for the first time ever. I know nothing about it. I had been using the back office but the way it is set up in this existing site is even if you use the back office, you still have to build the project in Visual Studio.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft