Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• James Brooksbank 8 posts 79 karma points
    Sep 09, 2020 @ 08:15
    James Brooksbank

Umbraco Upgrade from Solution

Hi.... so i have inherited several Umbraco sites which where initially setup in Visual Studio.

They all have custom code and extended items and are controlled by source control.

I need to upgrade them all... as they are all on different versions. Ranging from 6 to 8.

So, i can't do a normal upgrade like I'm used to, by copying the dlls and views etc and I'm having trouble when I update the umbraco core via NuGet.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips about doing the upgrade via Visual Studio and NuGet as I'm having issues finding information on how to proceed in this particular scenario... thank you for any help anyone may be able to offer.

• Marc Goodson 2133 posts 14273 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Sep 13, 2020 @ 18:53
    Marc Goodson

Hi James

Have a look at the general upgrade guide there is a section on achieving this via Nuget:

https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/getting-started/setup/upgrading/general#are-you-using-nuget

And for knowing which bits might need manual intervention, the 'version specific' guide is your friend.

https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/getting-started/setup/upgrading/version-specific

regards

Marc

Sep 14, 2020 @ 07:25
    James Brooksbank

Thanks, i will have a try again in case i missed something last time.

• Ambert van Unen 175 posts 817 karma points c-trib
    Sep 14, 2020 @ 07:22
    Ambert van Unen

If you want to upgrade a V6 site to a V8, those will probably problematic, as major changes have been introduced (quite logical with major version updates). Especially for custom code you'll probably have to rewrite a bunch of stuff.

I'd recommend to update them to the latest version within their major version.

(so for example, for a V6 website, upgrade to 6.2.6, and for a V7 to 7.15.6

Sep 14, 2020 @ 07:24
    James Brooksbank

Version 8 is the ideal... however, i am aware about the indepth changes so focusing on getting to version 7 at least at the moment and then plan to go up to version 8.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft