Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• evangelos 12 posts 82 karma points
    Sep 09, 2020 @ 10:24
    evangelos

Best way to migrate HTML Umbract 7.1.8 to VS 2017

Hi,

I am looking to move our Umbraco intranet site, 7.1.8, into Visual Studio and wondered what was the best way to do this. I have attempted some suggestions but every time i try a new solution i've encountered a different error. Steps taken: Create a new ASP.NET project (dot net framework 4.5 ) then select Empty. Using NuGet install Umbraco 7.1.8 then build, customising the DB to the test DB i have set up. Run through it and then copying all the folders and files from the HTML Umbraco folder to the new folder created by VS2017. However when i do this i get an error, most of the time it's trying to find a custom dependency that it's saying it can't find.

So my first question is does anyone have a solid solution on how i can do this? Secondly do i need to overwrite the web.config file with the original one or just certain parts of the file? I am just in process or re running through it so i can provide the error message which hopefully will be more helpful.

appreciate your advice.

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Sep 09, 2020 @ 18:44
    Amir Khan

I would overwrite the entire web.config except the updated database connection string and see if you still get errors.

• Ambert van Unen 175 posts 817 karma points c-trib
    Sep 09, 2020 @ 19:18
    Ambert van Unen

In your web.config you can have numerous custom added depencies that are loaded, also version can differ of installed extra's (modules) that could give the error..

Usually the error report about the custom dependency is quite accurate in where the problem resides.

What Amir said would be what I'd try aswell.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft