Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sam Lombardo 5 posts 94 karma points
    Sep 11, 2020 @ 02:14
    Sam Lombardo

Umbraco 8 fails when deployed to azure in Umbraco.Web.Runtime.WebRuntime.Boot()

The error can be found here on my dev site: https://dev-awesamnet.azurewebsites.net/

This was a fresh Umbraco 8 (8.7.0) installation, developed locally until I was ready to push it to my dev site. Once deployed I receive the error below.

Dev site is on a F1 plan, since I am only using it to test deployment before deploying to prod (good thing since it's broken).

I realize some will say this is a permissions issue with some of the files and folders, but keep in mind it is running in azure. I am not sure you can change read/write permissions in azure (can you?)

Here is everything I have checked:

• App Service is running .NET 4.7.2
    • I've added the connection string to the Azure configuration connection strings section
    • I've added the following config values as specified in the documentation:

<add key="Umbraco.Core.MainDom.Lock" value="SqlMainDomLock" />
      <add key="Umbraco.Core.LocalTempStorage" value="EnvironmentTemp" />
      <add key="Umbraco.Examine.LuceneDirectoryFactory" value="Examine.LuceneEngine.Directories.SyncTempEnvDirectoryFactory, Examine" />

I am at a complete loss...

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       Umbraco.Web.Runtime.WebRuntime.Boot(IRegister register) +139
       Umbraco.Web.UmbracoApplicationBase.HandleApplicationStart(Object sender, EventArgs evargs) +47
       Umbraco.Web.UmbracoApplicationBase.Application_Start(Object sender, EventArgs evargs) +34

[HttpException (0x80004005): Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.EnsureAppStartCalledForIntegratedMode(HttpContext context, HttpApplication app) +475
       System.Web.HttpApplication.RegisterEventSubscriptionsWithIIS(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context, MethodInfo[] handlers) +118
       System.Web.HttpApplication.InitSpecial(HttpApplicationState state, MethodInfo[] handlers, IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +176
       System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetSpecialApplicationInstance(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +220
       System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.InitializeApplication(IntPtr appContext) +303

[HttpException (0x80004005): Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +659
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +89
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationPrivate(IIS7WorkerRequest wr, HttpContext context) +189

• Sam Lombardo 5 posts 94 karma points
    Sep 11, 2020 @ 23:10
    Sam Lombardo

So it turns out that when I upgraded from Umbraco 8.6 to Umbraco 8.6.4, a bunch of my config files were set to be excluded from the build in the project file:

<None Include="Config\ClientDependency.config" />
    <None Include="Config\HealthChecks.config" />
    <None Include="Config\serilog.config" />
    <None Include="Config\serilog.user.config" />
    <None Include="Config\umbracoSettings.config" />
    <None Include="Config\uSync8.config" />
    <None Include="Media\Web.config" />
    <None Include="packages.config" />
    <Content Include="Views\Web.config" />

I must say, I've been finding upgrading Umbraco to be a very dangerous operation. I've had to create a whole dev App Service just to account for upgrades breaking my sites.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft